Just finished up this little surprise gift for a friend of ours.  Thought I'd share.  Slowly but surely getting better at sketching my own designs. And tooling tiny items...

YinTx

IphoneCover1LoRes.thumb.jpg.fd3a999f7b29c7c657a1991d55077677.jpg

That is pretty..your tiny work is excellently nice :-)

17 minutes ago, mikesc said:

That is pretty..your tiny work is excellently nice :-)

Thanks @mikesc!  Still trying to improve my wreckerative cuts tho...  Here's a very up close with a pencil for scale, before all the dye, resist, antique and finish work.

I didn't have a shader small enough for the flower petals, so I struggled a bit with the modeling spoon.  But the end result is passable, I think.

YinTx

IphoneCoverCloseUpLoRes.thumb.jpg.0e44eca35289afeb233e8f80db5da489.jpg

That shore is purty

I really like the curvy outline to the design that doesn't follow the rectangular contours of the case itself. That's a really good design!

Looks great Yin! You are getting good at this sir!

Edited by battlemunky

Nice work, nice gift.

4 hours ago, fredk said:

That shore is purty

Thanks!

4 hours ago, DJole said:

I really like the curvy outline to the design that doesn't follow the rectangular contours of the case itself. That's a really good design!

I appreciate that.  I saw something similar somewhere else, so I did my own kind of version of it.  Bit of a gamble, but paid out ok I think.

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Looks great Yin! You are getting good at this sir!

Thank you, I try to get a bit better every time... Figure in 100 years of Sundays, I'll get the hang of it!

1 hour ago, AwlShucks said:

Nice work, nice gift.

Thanks, I hope she likes it.  Time will tell!

YinTx

Really nice work. How is it attached to the cover? Upper right, is that just a fancy S or is it something else? I've been struggling with small carvings lately. I need some smaller petal lifters. I struggle with cutting the small curves on the petal tops. 

Very nice work.

Looks great!

Very nice and beautiful work!

18 hours ago, Outfitr said:

Really nice work. How is it attached to the cover? Upper right, is that just a fancy S or is it something else? I've been struggling with small carvings lately. I need some smaller petal lifters. I struggle with cutting the small curves on the petal tops. 

Thank you.  The cover has adhesive already, but I have found it doesn't always hold.  This one I removed the adhesive (no small task itself) sanded it rough, and used contact cement.  Much better hold I think.  It is an "S" in the upper right.  The petal lifter I used on this one is the small Craftool Pro lifter.  I have a Robert Beard small but it was much to big for this.  Also, I have some petal lifters I have made from freebie screwdrivers, very easy to do with a file or a grinder if you have it, some sandpaper, and polishing compound.  If you don't have it, try to get a small swivel knife blade (1/4") for those tight curves.  Made a world of difference for me.

8 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Very nice work.

Many thanks!

7 hours ago, buffalobill said:

Looks great!

Appreciate it!

7 hours ago, ABHandmade said:

Very nice and beautiful work!

I've seen your work, mine pales in comparison, thank you kindly!

34 minutes ago, JBW1 said:

Really nice! Great idea for a gift :cheers:

Thank you, and I hope she likes it.  May not know for a while though!  Still have to deliver it...

YinTx

Questions: I presume the leather is quite thin, approx what thickness? and how did you prevent it from going out of shape whilst tooling it?

4 hours ago, fredk said:

Questions: I presume the leather is quite thin, approx what thickness? and how did you prevent it from going out of shape whilst tooling it?

3-4 oz thick, you can use packing tape on the back if you like to reduce the stretch.

YinTx

Well my friend that is just beautiful, very inspiring. Keep up the good work.