Sign in to follow this  
Zonker1972

Sheepskin Pads

where is everyone getting their sheepskin pads for dying, antiquing and oiling? I've seen some "scrap" bags on esty but not much else.

thanks,

Zonker

Scrap bags are great, and usually far less expensive than Tandy's sheepskin pads by a long shot.   If you live anywhere near a saddle-maker, hit them up.  They tend to have a ton of sheepskin scrap they're willing to either give you or sell very cheap.  It's mostly garbage to them!

- Bill

My wholesaler where I get my hides from , just gives me off cuts of sheep skin, but its up to me to trim them to size, trim all the excess  ' fluffy bits' off . 

Also, sometimes people  just give me....stuff ( " he's the local leather worker...give it to him" kinda thing, a good excuse to of load their shite  me thinks ?) , some of which was a box of sheep skin scraps, some are totally useless and go in the bin, but I do sometimes  find some 'usable' pieces. 

HS 

7 hours ago, Zonker1972 said:

where is everyone getting their sheepskin pads for dying, antiquing and oiling? I've seen some "scrap" bags on esty but not much else.

thanks,

Zonker

Can you cut your pads, from Lamb Fleece hide to make your own  ?

Edited by nylonRigging

Tandy sells synthetic wool by the yard in addition to their pads.  Just cut your own pads, whole lot cheaper than their product round pads. The stuff works great, use it all the time.

Terry

When I require 'sheep skin fleece' I use the artificial species. I get it by the 1/4, 1/2 or full 1 yard from a fabric outlet. Costs about £4 for a 1/2 yard which yields lots and lots of pads