dikman

I bought an arbor press - at last.

I finally found an arbor press - 2 ton! Son-in-law asked me to go with him to pick up some tools from a deceased estate - bench mount belt sander, drill press, small lathe, scroll saw - 1 hour trip. While there I asked the guy what else had for sale, he showed me an old grinder (English, solid, but it sounded like it had dry bearings) and an arbor press. I took one look, said how much, $50 and I said sold!! I've been looking for one of these for ages but have never seen a 2 tonner, they're usually 1 ton. :banana:
And it's bloody heavy!!!!!!!

Arbor press a.jpg

Edited by dikman

Woooo! That´s a biggy, I asume you didn´t buy that one for putting on snaps...:lol:

Good find dikman. Don't know if you've seen it but look at this from Geordie and get some magnets.

31 minutes ago, toxo said:

Don't know if you've seen it but look at this from Geordie and get some magnets.

I tried the magnet trick but my magnet cracked and crumbled. I used rare earth magnets I found at Home Depot. Does anyone know where to get more durable magnets in the US? The magnet trick works surprisingly well other than my magnets getting crushed.

57 minutes ago, TargetRockLeather said:

I tried the magnet trick but my magnet cracked and crumbled. I used rare earth magnets I found at Home Depot. Does anyone know where to get more durable magnets in the US? The magnet trick works surprisingly well other than my magnets getting crushed.

I got one of these. Very strong and works well for holding things in place as in the video. Can also be used for a stitching guide as Mikesc said about microwave magnets. Might get a stronger one to experiment with but you have to be careful. These things can hurt you if you're not careful.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strong-Magnets-30x20x5-mm-Neodymium-Block-craft-magnet-30mm-x-20mm-x-5mm-N42-Bar/182942145946?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=690259429188&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Actually, jimi, I didn't buy it with anything in particular in mind, I just couldn't let it go!:lol:

Toxo, good video, looks like I'll need to buy some bigger magnets. First thing I've got to do is strip it down to reduce the weight to move it, just about broke my back getting it out of the car. And then figure out where I'm going to put it.

Why do I find out about these AFTER the sale?

I would love one of those little things, oh well, back to me 50 tonne press.

Bert.

After looking at a couple of youtube vids I've decided not to bother with a magnet, I'm going to make some "holders" that will clamp to the press so that I can attach different sizes of punches, stamps etc. A bit more work but should let me use heavier punches to cut slots and big holes. I just have to find some square tubing that's a nice fit on the ram.

Plus I have to make a flat base to replace the round thingy it came with. Lots of possibilities here.

All of the "rare earth" magnets are susceptible to fracturing from stress or shock or pressure..such as when applying pressure during stamping.
Better ( in most cases* ) than a "sleeve" would be to drill and tap the ram "upwards" centered from the bottom face, so that you can then use a threaded "insert" with the various items ( stamps etc ) that you want to apply the pressure onto attached via threaded shafts..

*In the case of a large area stamp.. a sleeve with re-enforced flanging would help to spread the force..

Likewise drilling and tapping "the round thingy" to accept threaded "female" parts ( such as for riveting / stud placing ) is also worth doing..If you do make a flat replacement..make it with an adjustable rear "fence" ( calibrated ) so as to be able to place holes or whatever at the same distance each time..I think that Brian ( or maybe someone else ) has posted about such an arrangement in the past..Might have been in relation to stamping letters to make a name or names on a belt.

Edited by mikesc

If the ram extends above the head you could try putting the magnets on the top end of it. You'll need more magnets for the magnetism to be effective. I did that on something (a mini-drill stand) as a temporary measure and it worked out ok.

I didn't want to drill out the ram to accept stamping tools, rivet setters etc, but drilling and tapping a smaller hole to fit attachments might work - if the ram will fit in my lathe to get a vertical hole.

I've found a large steel plate to use as a base, the idea of a fence is a good one. I've got a bit of pondering to do.

If you do not like the magnet solution and don´t want to drill the ram and you have welding options make a (few) squared "cup" you can fit on the ram and and that can accommodate certain tool. Thumb screws can hold the cups in place... Just an idea...

EDIT:

just noticed your own post - you already  figured it...  ;)

I think 1 or 2 years ago I bought a pneumatic press on ebay for less than the price of a pack of sewing needles but shipping was 65€ so overall pretty much a steal. But I yet haven't set it up yet - maybe I should get it on this year. Not even sure if I really need it but I could not resist for that price. It even came with a spare piston. :lol:

IMG_1075 (Custom).JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Now that looks nice!! Any idea what sort of pressure it can exert? Might be a bit much for leatherwork.

The ram is too big to fit in my lathe or my drill press so I have no way of accurately drilling a hole in the bottom, although the idea might still work if I make a short extension piece (round, maybe), drill and tap it and then weld it to the bottom of the ram. I could attach fittings using the threaded end or make attachments to fit over the round extension, which would also allow rotary adjustment if needed. It has a long travel so I could sacrifice a couple of inches if necessary. If I make it round and match it the internal diameter of some metal pipe then I'll have a ready made source for making attachments.

Does your drill press "head" not pivot out to one side to allow drilling of items that are too big ( tall ) to fit onto the "table" ?

Agreed..very nice looking press there Constabulary :)

Edited by mikesc

It does, mike, but I would have to fabricate a jig to hold it vertical and square - too much trouble. I'm going to explore the idea of a round piece welded to the end, it has possibilities.

Hey @dikman if you can be patient enough for a few hours I will take some pictures of a set up I've done here. Basically it allows me to do a quick change over for whatever the thread type of the die required or even in some cases some with no thread at all.

Here you go I think the pictures should cover it ...

DSC05586_resize.JPG

DSC05580_resize.JPG

DSC05581_resize.JPG

DSC05582_resize.JPG

After doing the first one on the top left and tapping the hole for the small threaded ones I got a bit smarter and did the 2nd one one the right so that it could receive the larger threaded one below it or the ones without thread as on the far right.

DSC05584_resize.JPG

DSC05585_resize.JPG

DSC05583_resize.JPG

I've already had two, at least, magnets cracked to smithereens. Not impressed. Mine came with a hole already drilled and a screw fastener on the side of the ram but whenever I insert the snap setter it gets tilted at an angle once fastened in: this results in the leather being cut by the snap due to uneven pressure.

Edited by Hardrada

That Brian is very very clever. :)

5 hours ago, Hardrada said:

I've already had two, at least, magnets cracked to smithereens. Not impressed. Mine came with a hole already drilled and a screw fastener on the side of the ram but whenever I insert the snap setter it gets tilted at an angle once fastened in: this results in the leather being cut by the snap due to uneven pressure.

A picture would help but is there room for a spacer washer between the offending die and the ram? Does it happen with any dye's? Note that if you have a moveable base piece it can be centred where ever is needed as well.

5 hours ago, mikesc said:

That Brian is very very clever. :)

Thanks Mike but I would have been happier if I had thought of it maybe 10 or so years before I did, I would not then have a whole heap of little different presses for different dyes although they still come in handy sometimes. P.S. Been thinking some more about doing some of that tutorial stuff but I will save that for another post.

Thanks Brian. I'm working on a "negative" image of yours, for want of a better term. I've got a short cylinder to weld to the bottom of the ram, a short piece of thick-walled pipe fits over it and is held on by a couple of locking screws. I will the fit different inserts into the cylinder. The inserts will have different size holes in them to take different diameter fittings and a single screw through the pipe and insert will lock the tool in place. I then just have to make an insert and drill it to whatever size I need to fit something new.

I've got 3 other presses with fittings for rivets, snaps etc but this one I want to be able to fit hole punches, cutters etc.as well. I'll post some photos when it's finished.

What sort of pressure has that thing got? It looks big!

48 minutes ago, dikman said:

What sort of pressure has that thing got? It looks big!

It has a pneumatic cylinder with a fair bit off mechanical advantage as well built in, so therefore the pressure is variable and not generally something you want to get your ...............finger stuck between:jawdropper:  I can bring it down slow or like a hammer if I want and I haven't found any rivet/stud it cant do yet.

20 hours ago, dikman said:

Now that looks nice!! Any idea what sort of pressure it can exert? Might be a bit much for leatherwork.

it came with a instruction sheet and technical drawing looks like it has 8 KN at 5 Bar ex factory - but I´m sure you can run it with more than 5 bar. I don´t think will blow off at 6 or 8 bar. So the idea more or less is a pneumatic clicker and maybe a riveter for larger copper rivets.

The arbor press idea from the video is least and interesting idea if you have space issues or are on a budget but having multiple tools makes life easier IMO. You do not need an accu drill when you have an electric drill but life is easier if you have both. Most people just want ONE sewing machine but life is easier if you have several (depends on your work of course). And as a wise men said "It's Better To Have It And Not Need It, Than To Need It And Not Have It!  :lol:

Edited by Constabulary

12 hours ago, dikman said:

It does, mike, but I would have to fabricate a jig to hold it vertical and square - too much trouble. I'm going to explore the idea of a round piece welded to the end, it has possibilities.

I don´t know if this is any help to you as Brian has covered it basically with his crafty jig Lol... you might get some ideas??? 

It is basically and adapter and a quick change method instead of unscrewing each time?? Normally the top shaft is a bit lower but i have moved them a little further up.

20200226_111259.thumb.jpg.c8702b6d7e0df50cbc88905e21f215bb.jpg20200226_111337.thumb.jpg.585aa5a20070a487dbd98e2b7cc477b0.jpg20200226_111344.thumb.jpg.0f26313d0ef3041bdb34a166b750705f.jpg20200226_111431.thumb.jpg.9a65b3cefb055ff09147cfac7b0dea77.jpg

20200226_111437.thumb.jpg.5e33492bc7abe9a2b4cc4bb4ba32a083.jpg

Jimi, that's the concept I'm working on.

Constabulary, you can never have too many tools!:lol: When I bought the press he also had one of those smallish table saws, so I jokingly offered $20, he said $30 so I took it! It won't handle big panels, of course, but will come in handy for smaller bits of wood.