dikman

I bought an arbor press - at last.

20200815_123908.thumb.jpg.c8c9a2f21436ce231a95d64d14fe17fc.jpg

Edited by Frodo

7 hours ago, Lil Doodler said:
  • Compressing springs – careful here

- Boing! - Ouch! :lol:

Right, right . . .

I'd be lucky if that's all that happened.

For me, it'd be - Boing! - Ouch! - Where did the bloody thing go?

Probably disappear down the same deep mysterious rabbit hole and never to be seen again like churchkey/bottle openers hehehe

Churchkey

Well one known black hole of the universe that sucks items forever is located next to your car seat between the seat and the hand break... there's probably like a million dollars worth of coins there LOL

I'm still to find where all the lost socks go, there must be a mountain of them somewhere in the galaxy.

Edited by Spyros

20 hours ago, Spyros said:

So what are the jobs that require a lot of pressure from the arbor press?

Even quite small clicker dies need a surprising amount of pressure. Even walking this die around my 1 ton press (as opposed to pressing in one go) required an extension on the bar.

IMG_20200519_000724.jpg

14th June 2020 181.jpg

13 minutes ago, toxo said:

Even quite small clicker dies need a surprising amount of pressure. Even walking this die around my 1 ton press (as opposed to pressing in one go) required an extension on the bar.

IMG_20200519_000724.jpg

14th June 2020 181.jpg

Oh.  Hang on, I'm confused now.  Isn't an arbor press and a clicker press two different things?  I wouldn't dream of replacing a clicker press with a drill press.

10 minutes ago, Spyros said:

. . .  Isn't an arbor press and a clicker press two different things? . . .

yes, but for small items an arbor press will do the job. I use my Tandy press and metal dies to punch out the bases for game playing pieces from thin suede pig skin

11 minutes ago, Spyros said:

. . .   I wouldn't dream of replacing a clicker press with a drill press.

neither would I

Hi,

I’m not sure if you solved your magnet problems (shapes, durability, sourcing), but K&J Magnetics has ALL kinds of shapes and strengths.  They can also make custom magnet shapes, but those are $pendy.

Here’s a link to their site:

https://www.kjmagnetics.com

Enjoy,

Michael

On 9/27/2020 at 3:56 PM, MichaelEgbert said:

I’m not sure if you solved your magnet problems (shapes, durability, sourcing), but K&J Magnetics has ALL kinds of shapes and strengths.  They can also make custom magnet shapes, but those are $pendy.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com

I love this site! They're fairly local to me so I source all my magnets there when I need something special.

Now, I've been thinking on either the arbor press (like I need an excuse to spend money at Harbor Freight!) or the "leather hole puncher" thingie I found on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TBKGFBW/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A1CZK6KBEA5RDC&th=1)

I did spend the $$ last year on a grommet press from Goldstar and wished I had done so long ago. But I can't do much else with it unless I have the right dies (got it used and it came with a bunch of dies).

So, what I'm thinking, is an arbor press with a DONUT SHAPED MAGNET! OMG why hasn't anyone mentioned this before???? This will hold your tool to the press and you won't be exerting any pressure on the magnet itself. It also has the advantage of not taking away from the space you have. Course I ask this now when I should have thought of this LAST YEAR before I got the Goldstar press. I'd better start selling my leather so BF doesn't give me too much grief for buying more tools! LOL

So now I'm going to measure the diameter of my tools so I know what magnets to order and then take the mess to HF and try them out in a press to see if it works. These are the donut magnets: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=16&scri=51&scri=52&scri=53

Who'd have thought of making donut-shaped magnets? Or even looking for them?:lol:

I found another use for my press. I have two Macadamia trees and the nuts are so hard that I have to crack them using an engineer's vise. Makes for a slow job. Guess what, the press does a pretty good job of cracking them too (and it's a bit quicker).:)