Mmdb

Does anyone recognize this machine

You are not offering much information for anyone to help you. Can you provide a manufacturer or a photo?

If by chance you are considering a Pfaff 487, that is not the machine you want. That machine is for lightweight clothing fabrics and thread.

The ?? after 487 sums it up, we need a lot more info to provide any help - photos are always a big help, along with make and model.

textile machine..no use at all for leather..

1 hour ago, Mmdb said:

i would use t for boat bimini with sunbrella fabric not leather ) and is this walking foot machine ?

I don't believe it is. Pretty sure it is a needle feed.

It appears to have some variation of an 'upper feed'.

From Pfaff website: Special high-speed sewing machine with drop feed and variable top feed. Sewing of fullness and/or sewing without ply-shift on fine to medium heavy fabrics - Shirts, blouses, jackets, blazers, soft furnishings, curtains and much more

It is not a true unison/triple/compound feed machine. From the videos I saw on Youtube, the foot lift looks pretty small. The specifications show that the needle size for this machine is 80 to 100 or 12 to 16 size. That would make the max thread size is 69. This is a machine made for light fabric, not polyester canvas. I think.

The machine in your photo has some kind of attachment under the arm to the right of the needle. It has an additional control lever. I don't know what that is.

I also looks to have special feet that may be impossible to replace or change to feet that will better fit your bimini project. I really suggest you look for an upholstery class industrial machine for your work.

Edited by JJN

big big thx everyone and jjn ...i was wondering myself also what is this kind of attachment right to the needle ..never seen it before and google photos can not find anything also..and what about juki dl5550 is this machine capable for sewing bimini boat canvas ?

My Juki DLU 490-4 has that same ( but much smaller and more compact ) "lever thing" near the needle..if is actually a sort of small "paddle" which if you press it puts the machine into reverse for as long as you are pressing it..My Juki also has top and bottom feed but not needle feed , so is not a triple action..the top feed is variable, controlled by a set of dials over to right of the machine, one of which is connected to a separate foot pedal ..The dials allow you to set the amount of variable top feed ..and the secondary pedal allows you to vary the amount of that variation as you sew..But the machine is for middle to heavy work ..foot lift by lever ( at the rear of the needle like usual ) is to 9mm..by the knee lifter is 14mm..takes needles upto #25..I have run 207 through it with no problem at all..goes easily through 3/8 ( 9mm ) of veg tan..

Normally it would be too fast for leather..but it has an Efka control box ( NPS etc ) clutch motor, which allows for automated "back tack" at start and end of seam to lock the stitches down..and other fancy stuff..and can be dialled down very slow for a clutch motor..came with a 70mm pulley..I switched it for a 50mm..with no additional speed reducer it can be "feathered" to about one stitch every 3 seconds..Apparently a lot of people use them for sewing heavy tarps..the upper variable drive feed feet come with teeth that grip and pull fabric well..you can adjust it to pull leather with no "slip" between two layers..A triple compound feed is still better for leather..But if you are sewing tarps and covers it would probably suit you .

Heel back on main pedal to "needle up".

Mine was originally 3 phase..but runs on mono phase by using a capacitor to deliver a "false phase" to the Efka motor and by being wired differently.

If you are lucky you can get them for a few hundred..

As always many thanks to Eric ( gottaknow ) who pointed me to the user manual and the service manual..It was actually looking for information on the Efka control box and the variable feed dials on the machine head that bought me to Leatherworker.net.

It now has company with other machines.. a 29k pedal patcher...a 20u zig zag ..a 211U166 triple compound feed ( with servo and reducer ) and some others..including a pedal singer from the 50s and some "artisanal" machines that do a very nice triple step zig zag ..

One can never have too many machines :)

edited to add..The Juki also came with automatic thread cutters built into the bed..but as I didn't like the threads being cut off so short I removed the knives..and I never use the "auto back tacking" at beginning and end of seams so I switched that off..The shaft on the Efkas is tapered ( and has a "keyway" )..as is the shafts on the Singer 1750 rpm clutch motors ( although I don't think the have a "keyway" ..and my Singer 1750clutch motor is dismounted and in a cold room ATM..so I'm not going to go look for at least another 3 months. :)..My reverse touch paddle system is much smaller than the one in your photo..but I'm pretty sure that is what yours is too..I'll try and get a photo of mine to add to this thread later..the Machine is on the unheated veranda ATM and the light is fading here ( 17.36 hrs )..Electric light is at the other end of the veranda..maybe tomorrow..it has been a long day .. as the typos in this post that I keep spotting bear witness to..

There is indeed a more recent Juki ( might be the 5550, but honestly tiredness makes certainty elusive ) which is more or less the same machine, uses the same feet and some other parts..I do have the more modern version reference noted somewhere other than my tired ( today ) brain..If I find the note I'll post the machine model if no one else does so first..

HTH :)

Edited by mikesc

59 minutes ago, Mmdb said:

and what about juki dl5550 is this machine capable for sewing bimini boat canvas ?

The Juki DL-5550 needs some modifications to sew vinyl and plastic materials. They are explained in this dealer's video.

Even modified for heavier work, this is still a straight stitch machine that needs to be run fast. I recommend looking for a walking foot machine, like the Juki DNU-1541

Ah..Nope the 5550 that wiz just posted ( thanks wiz..saved me from "fuzzy brain" there :) is not the machine that I was thinking of..that has no "upper feed"..To add to wiz's point about running speed..the DLU490-4 has an oil bath in the base and an oil pump system that means it should be run fast..I occasionally run mine flat out ( about 3200 rpm I think it is )to get the oil pumping..and oil everywhere by hand too..But the DNU 1541 would definitely be better.

Oh..and when you do get a machine..don't do like the guy at atlas levy does and when he he puts the tread through the tensions discs he puts it around the little pin that stops the two discs from spinning on themselves..he does it wrong ( and in doing so has steered so many people wrong ) the thread does not go around that little pin..I don't know if he does it on the video that Wiz embedded..( I didn't run the video, just saw the pre run "still"..But he ( the guy at atlas ) does it on at least one video "out there"..and it is wrong..puts waay too much tension on the top thread by using an incorrect thread path.

Edited by mikesc

9 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

The Juki DL-5550 needs some modifications to sew vinyl and plastic materials. They are explained in this dealer's video.

Even modified for heavier work, this is still a straight stitch machine that needs to be run fast. I recommend looking for a walking foot machine, like the Juki DNU-1541;)

I was strongly considering to Post a Vid. of my super Fast, bottom feed .. But I don't know if I own enough Gold Bling to come-off as a creditable source of machine knowledge ... ;)

This machine was the second one I purchased and I found if you are careful, it will sew heavy canvas and light leather easily.

I changed out the standard tension spring and it seems to handle heavy threads okay.

If I have been doing a bit of slow sewing I manually oil it, or pull the thread out and give it a few busts of high speed.

Bert.