NewfoundlandLaw

Will Leather Sewing Machines Ever Go High-Tech?

Imagine your opportunities.... smart home sewing machines.... ALEXA - sew that fxcking holster! I need it done when I´m back home. :blahblahblah:

9 hours ago, Hardrada said:

the last thing I'd need is having to download regular updates to it in order to keep it working.

and there will be a day when you no longer can get updates (an parts)  - hope there will be an XP mode then... ah well, maybe you can hot wire em. :lol:

Will Ctrl-Alt-Delete work? :blink:

Ha!  Watched that movie again last fall, and the 2010 one as well.

Wiz, can you wire up my Landis #1 for me??  A nice LCD screen or something?

God bless and good night.

I guess that's what they said in 1790 it will never take off, we dont need sewing machines

1790: The First Detailed Design

The history of the sewing machine & who invented it essentially starts here. Englishman Thomas Saint designed the first sewing machine of its kind. The patent described a machine powered with a hand crank to be used for leather and canvas. Nobody knows if Saint built a prototype, but in 1874, William Newton Wilson found the patent drawings. They were so detailed, he built a replica, proving that it did work.

thomas saint sewing machine

Oh dear, looks like Big Brother is not only watching, but want to take control.

Bert.

12 hours ago, dikman said:

:lol:. I even heard the voice of HAL when I read that!

I did too:lol:

Only Vetron I've known:

280?cb=20140807074342

How did they manage not to be sued by Origin?

Edited by Hardrada

On 2/29/2020 at 11:30 AM, keithski122 said:

Vetron are getting pretty high tech.

I feel like John Carter looking at this thing price tag has to be $10K or more nope just over $6K USD

Edited by Kcstott

2 hours ago, Kcstott said:

I feel like John Carter looking at this thing price tag has to be $10K or more nope just over $6K USD

Being a Canadian who recently purchased a Cobra Class 4, that price seems reasonable. (Shipping, Custom's and the weak Canadian Dollar really adds up.)

I envy Americans when it comes to these purchases. 

On 3/2/2020 at 10:43 PM, nstarleather said:

This one always blows me away: 

It does but I think a skilled seamstress is faster. And you still need someone in front of the machine (whom you have to pay) who "feeds" the machine. Maybe you have less output rejects with this machine - maybe not... However - still a very impressive machine.

4 hours ago, NewfoundlandLaw said:

Being a Canadian who recently purchased a Cobra Class 4, that price seems reasonable. (Shipping, Custom's and the weak Canadian Dollar really adds up.)

I envy Americans when it comes to these purchases. 

That’s still more money than I care to spend anytime soon. But you never know. 
A few years ago I was looking at a tippmann boss. I just skipped over that all together and bought a cobra class four. 
I couldn’t be more happy with that machine. 

As relatively small time bit players, Leatherworker companies need to put machine costs into perspective, Larger companies feel nothing about spending £20-30k on buying a car for the sales rep and changing it for a new one after say 3 years, I spent £44K on a Barudan embroidery machine (7 colour 12 head) in 1990 and another 6 head about a year later at not that much lower cost. 

Chinese companies are some of the worlds leaders in using high tech machines to help keep skilled labour costs down even though their labour is still far cheaper than many other countries 

3 hours ago, nstarleather said:

You found a price?  That's better than I could do...where'd you find pricing?

My Brother Automated stitcher cost around $25K new 20 years ago...so $6k is incredibly reasonable considering the capability.

I just googled it asking for a cost. It popped up at 450,000 Indian rupiahs

had to convert that to USD. 
do that’s what the machine is going for in India and tha may not translate to a North American price

12 hours ago, Kcstott said:

That’s still more money than I care to spend anytime soon. But you never know. 
A few years ago I was looking at a tippmann boss. I just skipped over that all together and bought a cobra class four. 
I couldn’t be more happy with that machine. 

I did the exact same thing. 

I have to say that I am 100% happy with both my Cobra Class 4 and TechSew 2750 Pro. Awesome machines backed by awesome companies. 

On 3/4/2020 at 11:41 AM, NewfoundlandLaw said:

I did the exact same thing. 

I have to say that I am 100% happy with both my Cobra Class 4 and TechSew 2750 Pro. Awesome machines backed by awesome companies. 

That seems like a nice combination.