HondoMan

Re-dye, dyed Vegtan

Right then,

Have two rather large motorcycle side bags.  Originally, these were to be cleaned only.  Done.  Saddle soaped them each, twice.  Both are made from 2.5mm sides and have been dyed black - not from the tannery.  There is no maker's mark or tag, so no idea where they were made or by whom.  Some of the black had already worn off exposing the natural vegtan, albeit a wee darker brown.  Cleaning them has made the contrast more obvious....and they no longer stink of road!

Now it has been asked that I dye them.  Grand....  Nothing else other than the saddle soap has been used.  I planned to add mink oil over them, but halted due to this new request.

To me question:  As this has taken a different turn and to be honest, never done before.  Should I go straight to dyeing or use something to prep the leather?  To the 'wet noddle between me ears', it seems some type of sealing was used when these were dyed.  While the saddle soap, road, and weather has changed the structure of the leather.  Unsure if the dye will hold without a wee more prep.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Cheers!

If there was any kind of sealer used..or any possibility of any kind of sealer having been used..you'll have to "prep" or the new dye will not take evenly ( colour and finish and adherence will not be consistent )..and it will wear unevenly..which will become "your fault"..no matter what they say as to "I won't blame you if it doesn't work"..So..Prep..What colour dye are they asking for ? some things will be possible..others will not..and was it truly dyed black..If It was " dyed through" it should not expose the veg tan colour in wear areas, they'd just be black with a different texture or more or less "shine"..sounds more like it was only surface dyed or painted..The worn areas will have to be made black again, or when it all gets done ( dyed ) again they will show up as different colour or finish..

Of course you could talk them into a black and grey, or black and another dark dye colour "tie dye" effect or black and grey or another dark colour marble effect..
Kind of like some of the Heavy Metal Tee Shirts are ..

I used to do loads of this kind of stuff on leather and textile..still do occasionally. But not as "re-dye"*, I have a lot of different "finishes".

*I don't work on other people's work..( although I sometimes tear it apart to use some of it in up-cycling ) that way there are no nasty surprises for me :)

Edited by mikesc
typos

20 minutes ago, mikesc said:

.If It was " dyed through" it should not expose the veg tan colour in wear areas,

No, not dyed through, which is why I feel it was no dyed at the tannery.  It's black and will be dyed such.  The bags are four years old and due to weather and sun, most of the sealing is gone off.  I'll use the Fiebings Deglazer on a small hidden spot and see how it fairs.

Cheers!

Edited by HondoMan

Please don’t forget to deglaze them good as well.