pdfenter

Machine for Leather Patch Hats

Hi Everyone,

New guy here and glad I found this forum. I have a laser engraving business and have been making leather patch hats for a bit. I am researching sewing machines to sew the patches to these hats for durability. I currently have a good system for attaching odd shapes with heat press adhesive.

From what I can see using the search function a post machine would be advantageous for this. This is primarily the only leather sewing I see doing. My patches are 3-4oz Veg tanned but may get up to 9 oz. Patch size maybe 3" x 3" Typically.

There is a Singer 26K-70 with table and motor for $500 available about 5 hrs from me, or I have looked at the Techsew 810 and 830R as well as the Cowboy and Artisan machines as well. This is a business and so I need something I can hopefully learn quickly and have good support with. Whether forums like this or Youtube videos. 

Looking seeing and touching don't seem to be very handy to our area. I am willing to travel if needed. Seattle, Portland, Boise are all in range. Used machines are fine just need a good starting point where I am only fighting me and not the machine!

I am open to suggestions. I do learn quickly and can put the time in to get proficient. I am located about 2 hours south of Spokane Washington in Idaho and would also be grateful if anyone had something I could see, or would pay for someone's time to give a lesson or two.

Thank you

Phil

I set up a local embroidery shop with a Cowboy patcher, model CB29BL, which is a long arm, big bobbin model, with a servo motor on a pedestal stand. This machine can sew patches onto sleeves, over pockets, onto hats and caps and onto flat areas. 

Normally a patcher can't sew very long before the bobbin runs out. But, since most patches can be sewn on securely with #69 bonded nylon thread, they do last a fair amount of time, especially the larger bobbin models.

These machines don't sew as thick as a standard walking foot machines, but as long as the thicker seams can be slid past the foot, it will sew the patches on.

I have two patchers in my shop and they get used about every day.

BTW: You may see cheaper patchers come up on Craigslist or eBay, but those are usually either hand or treadle powered and old. I recommend buying a new machine with a servo motor. You are in business and It is a write-off.

If you locate a used patcher (Singer 29k##, or Adler 30-#), test it first to make sure it has reasonable stitch length and is not missing stitches or needing parts.

Thank you,

I appreciate the information. When I read the description for the CB29 It mentions the foot has teeth on it. The leather I have been working on is dyed already and veg tanned. It seems to mark easily with a finger nail and would not an upper foot with teeth mark the patch on the way by?

Thank you

Phil

On 2/29/2020 at 1:02 PM, pdfenter said:

Thank you,

I appreciate the information. When I read the description for the CB29 It mentions the foot has teeth on it. The leather I have been working on is dyed already and veg tanned. It seems to mark easily with a finger nail and would not an upper foot with teeth mark the patch on the way by?

Thank you

Phil

My mistake. I thought you misspelled the model number of the machine you were asking about. I was thinking it was a 29k70, which is a top feed only shoe patcher.

To avoid tooth marks and sew patches onto shaped hats, you'll need a post machine (Example). These machines often have roller wheel feed , with some driven on the top and bottom. I have a walking foot Singer 168G101 post machine I sometimes use instead of my patchers. It definitely feeds better over seams.

Most of our customers sewing patches onto hats use a post bed machine. The roller foot is great for maneuvering around different shapes and edge sewing. You can also use a cylinder bed machine with a walking foot if you want to use larger thread sizes, but you'll have to flatten parts of the hat while sewing.

Thanks, Ron

What are the necessary features and what are the col to have features? It seems like the Needle positioning system would be good to have as well as reverse.

Hard to know what makes the job the most productive.

Thank you

Phil

Interested in purchasing a post bed commercial machine to start sewing patches on hats.  Best machine for reasonable money? Just starting out need guidance for thread, weight of thread, suggestions and good luck!  Karen

On 4/29/2021 at 10:26 AM, KLM said:

Interested in purchasing a ' post bed ' commercial machine to start sewing patches on hats.  Best machine for reasonable money?

purchasing New ?  or , Used . ?

If I wanting something very specific, I just buy new . But for Used and you flexible like age, wear, specific model build .. I just keep an eye-out on my NW. area Craiglist for used machines if that the rout you choose, just keep steady eye on it once a week and look because around here are always at least a 100 random sew machines always up to dig threw .

If you wanting/looking New and ( actually In-Stock ) that can go out the door now . I know that Artisan just got a new fresh shipment of Post Beds in this week, very common design that imported in and sold by a few different sew vendors .

https://www.artisansew.com/postbedmachine.html

Edited by nylonRigging

On the Facebook Vintage Industrial Sewing Machines group Robert Collier posted a video of a machine demo attaching patches to hats.  He is a good resource for determining the best solution for your application.