Abdo

Need sturdy bench for leatherwork

Hi guys,

I’m in the market for a leatherwork bench. Would you recommend something like this: https://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/work-benches/open-leg/adjustable-height/72-x-36-maple-square-edge-work-bench-adjustable-height-1-3-4-top

I live in an apartment with thin walls, so I want a bench that can help absorb the noise from hammering chisels into leather (I know that I can use shock absorbing mats as well). The bench I’m considering has a 1-3/4” maple butcher block top and adjustable steel legs. It’s way sturdier than my current cheap/light wooden table, which I think could help?

My concern is that it has steel legs. Would this create more noise when I’m hammering vs. wooden legs.

p.s. I can’t make my own bench because I don’t have the space, time, tools or know how.

Thanks

I would personally go for one more like this. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky-6-ft-solid-wood-top-workbench/1000846226

The underside of the table is better supported, which will decrease bounce, and the legs are solid tubes for better structural integrity. The thicker tabletop on the other one is nice though.

@Tinkerton I wish I had seen your post before I went ahead and purchased my bench. I love the tabletop on it but the steel legs vibrate so much!! Is there anything I can use to wrap the legs that will absorb some of the vibration/noise?

10B790B2-6975-40A8-BA83-A6F22EE51F59.jpeg

Pile 'stuff' on the shelf.  Piles of heavy leather tools, magazines, 'stuff'.  That will take the jiggle out.  Make sure all the fasteners are double damn tight too.  Anything you can do to add weight will help a lot.

God bless

Under my marble slab, which is approx 14" x 12 x 2"  thick ,  I have a piece of foam carpet underlay . Its approx 15- 20mm thick, I double that over so its twice the thickness, 30-40mm thick,  that seems to absorb the noise quite nicely . 

Would it be of any help to put some rubber under the feet of the bench  ? 

Nice bench :) 

Hope that helps,

HS 

@MikeRockI will put a lot of the stuff on that bottom shelf so hopefully it will help with the vibration. Thanks for the tip.

@HandstitchedGreat idea! I will try it. I will also wrap the legs with vibration-absorbing rubber. I will report back in 10 days once my order arrives.

Edited by Abdo