Sign in to follow this  
renegade12

N Porter Saddle

I have an N Porter saddle in nearly pristine condition with the id # Q31895 and, as a collector of artifacts and an amateur historian, would like to find out the history of this saddle, at least the year it was made and for whom it was made.

I hope I'm on the right forum and thanks in advance  for any information that can be provided.

Renegade12

Newton Porter open his first saddle shop in Taylor Texas  in1875. in 1881 he moved to Abilene, Tx. for 8 years. Settled in Phoenix, Az. 1895 .There he established the N. Porter saddle and Harness co. He died in 1906. his two sons took over the business and ran it into the 30's or 40's. Swastikas, Navajo indian design, were used until 1933. They also used a steer head logo. If you post a picture of the saddle I might be able to help give the time frame it was made. Saddles are a lot like cars. They had styles. Those styles changed with the times. a slick fork, square shirt 8 string high back would be around the turn of the century to about 1915. That's not to say a saddle like that could not be made at any time. If it has the Swastika on it, it would be very collectable and probably bring a good price at auction. hope this helps with your quest.