HondoMan

Awl blades and ceramic stones

Right then,

I never really picked up the good habit of sharpening, much less polishing blades.  No sure why, just never worked it into me life.  Then I got into leather and no only did I need this wee proper skill, but have become rather good at it.  Have several methods for various blades and all goes right well.  The slight exception is the awl blade.  I only use Blanchard awls.

The normal routine is to use a Whetstone (with honing oil) firstly, then to a diamond stone.  Once I get a good edge, I then use dampened (water) sandpaper (3600, 8000 and 12000 grit) and I get a lovely polished edge that goes through leather like butter.

Been reading quite a bit about stones to be better educated.  I use a ceramic stone (3000 / 8000) for me knives and a strop for polishing.  Lately, I've been wondering if a ceramic stone would be good or better for the awl blades and completely forgo the whetstone and diamond altogether.  I read on a few websites that if one plans to polish a blade, ideally skip the diamond stone altogether. 

Me concern is how one sharpens an awl blade versus a knife blade and whether it's wise for the ceramic stone and wee awl blade.  I could easily purchase a ceramic stone to test, but don't wish to hurt either the stone or awl blade.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Edited by HondoMan

Nigel Armitage put out a video on how he prepares awls.  Might be helpful.

Edited by Tugadude
Added link

I use a ceramic fishing hook sharpener. They are V shaped and usually have several grades of grit all the way to fine which does a beautiful job of polishing.  

I sharpen my awls different than Nigel. I sharpen a flat on the tip and polish the sides this way i dont have to sharpen all four sides but i can just run it across a piece of 2500 grit sand paper i have glued on my hammering stone. i do this by using  one of the four edges as the tip then simply angle a bevel down to the opposite edge. I can then always see the leading edge put my finger on it and keep my holes running the same direction  I polish or reshape  the sides by holding my awl flat on the edge of the stone and use my small stone or a piece of sandpaper  wrapped or glued to a flat steel polishing it. I find its easier for me to keep the edges parallel and straight by moving the paper or stone  and keeping the awl steady, kind of like using a file on something. i dont know if i can load my picture the site is kind of jacked today and i have no attach button  on this. 

Edited by chuck123wapati
tried to add a picture, it failed.

On 7/18/2020 at 11:09 AM, chuck123wapati said:

I sharpen my awls different than Nigel. I sharpen a flat on the tip and polish the sides this way i dont have to sharpen all four sides but i can just run it across a piece of 2500 grit sand paper i have glued on my hammering stone. i do this by using  one of the four edges as the tip then simply angle a bevel down to the opposite edge. I can then always see the leading edge put my finger on it and keep my holes running the same direction  I polish or reshape  the sides by holding my awl flat on the edge of the stone and use my small stone or a piece of sandpaper  wrapped or glued to a flat steel polishing it. I find its easier for me to keep the edges parallel and straight by moving the paper or stone  and keeping the awl steady, kind of like using a file on something. i dont know if i can load my picture the site is kind of jacked today and i have no attach button  on this.  But my awls aren't shaped the same as a blanchard, if they were I would keep the point as manufactured but i would still hold the awl still and at the right angle and move the sharpening stone across the blade. 

awlsharp.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati
more to add