Stompk

My belts feel like stiff cardboard

I really like the belts I’ve been making, but they feel like stiff cardboard when I deliver them.  I’ve been trying different methods of working them back and forth and oiling them, etc to get them to feel like soft, rich leather, to no avail.

how are you guys doing it?

thanks!

First of all, . . . if my belt felt like a soft, rich leather, . . . I would toss it in the trash.  Belts for women ''can" have that feel, . . . but if you are making a belt for a man, . . . he needs to be able to thread it by pushing it around his waist, . . . not like having to pass it thru each loop like he was threading a shoe lace.

That only occurs when there is a "stiffness" to the belt.

When my belts are ready for my customer to pick up they have been rolled in my hands so that they would drape over a large ice cream bucket (see picture).  If the customer wants it any floppier or looser, . . . it is up to him/her to do that.  

In almost 20 years, . . . have never had a complaint about my belts being too stiff.  I do have one "ranger" belt I made for myself that I don't like because it is too floppy.  But that has only come from years of use.

One other point I'll make then leave you, . . . my belts are designed for CCW, . . . carrying a firearm, cell phone, spare mags, . . . . and still keep the britches up and look great even with the weight.  The thickness of my belts range from .180 to .250, . . . depending on length and width.

May God bless,

Dwight

belt stiffness example.jpg

Edited by Dwight

I use Leather Balm with Atom Wax (Fiebings) and after rubbing in front and back, pull the belt over a smooth, rounded desk edge on top and bottom.
For super dry leather I've also use Mink Oil Paste with great success.

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

First of all, . . . if my belt felt like a soft, rich leather, . . . I would toss it in the trash

Yup, what he said   :)

All my belts do have that ' stiffness' to them. I oil them, dye  & seal them but then  simply run  them  through my hands  to loosen up the fibres when they are finished .  Over time, and with use they will soften up . 

HS

Thanks everyone. I guess I've been overthinking it !