TestTube

What is the cheapest stuff to use to practice without wasting expensive leather?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-FOAMY-SHEETS-12-X-18-Goma-Eva-Sheets-For-Fofuchas-Doll-Craft-foam/231584153597?hash=item35eb7dbffd:m:muhr4qjHkjL1cvR87AYiKmQ

^I was about to purchase that, 12x18 inch 2mm Foam sheets, to practice with.

I'm wondering if those are any good AT ALL? Or if not, what is the cheapest stuff to use to practice without wasting expensive leather? (If you could provide a link that would be great although unnecessary)

Thank you!

12 minutes ago, TestTube said:

sheets, to practice with.

Since you location is not shown on your profile, I don't know where you are, so it is that much harder to suggest a source of cheap leather. Most leather is not cheap, and assuming that there is no leather supplier near you (some have great bargain bins), you might practice by making smaller items. Cutting, stitching, dying, burnishing, etc. can be practiced without spending too much time on each piece. I would scrap the idea of purchasing the foam sheets, as they have nothing to do with leather. At the worst, practice with canvas that you can purchase at a fabric store. In fact, many products are made using canvas and leather, and they can look pretty good together.

That my 2¢.

Well I'm not necessarily saying cheap "Leather", it just needs to be something I can use to imitate it and I read on reddit about that foam that I linked. I know it's not gonna give me the same experience but compared to even the cheapest leather, if it gives me a bit of experience making clean cuts, designs (maybe?), and stitching...but, then again I don't know.

Just looking for as cheap as possible of a way to get some practice in.

How about bookbinding board / grey board / pulp board / cardboard. You know what I mean? The material beer coasters are made of. I think its available in different densities but I´m not sure. If you have old books use the book covers. Thats a lot more environmentally friendly than foam sheets - I mean if you trash it anyway... 

just a random source:

http://www.bmpaper.com/sale-10023646-chemical-pulp-raw-material-grey-board-sheets-1-5mm-cardboard-wrapping-paper.html

Edited by Constabulary

There are quite a few places that sell economy leather which is veg tan leather that is good for practice and some smaller projects but either the leather is marked or a few holes in it making it not fit for many people to use  for quality, in the Uk for instance J woods selles economy leather full shoulder and cheeks about 13-17 square feet at £2.55 per square foot

Whilst this is economy leather you can still dye it etc and use it to make wallets, knife sheaths,  etc

The other option I used when I started was to contact local upholstery factories in my case car seat makers and get free chrome leather offcuts with tiny mark's highlighted in chalk where they were deemed not of a good enough standard in that area

Also for Offcuts Ebay is your friend for both veg tan or chrome, also veg tan bellies are low cost

Good luck and I suggest you enter your area in the profile to as a minimum say what country you are in

PS there may be a Tandy shop close by you

Edited by chrisash

Get along to a thrift or charity store or the local (proper) dump and look for old 'leather' covered furniture which is being disposed of and cut that 'leather' off the frames. In some cases you may be given a chair or sofa free and be expected to take the remains to the proper dump/disposal site.

Yes, it would have helped if you'd told us where you are

The cheapest types of leather are bellies and splits

They're not good enough for the best work, but perfectly OK for practising and making smaller items like key fobs, sheaths for smaller knives such as your leather working knives. You can also use veg tan belly leather to make a strop, which is one of the easiest items of leatherwork you can do - Search YouTube, there are lots of videos

Depending on how complicated you want to go, a key fob can show you how to do almost every type of leatherwork -- pattern making; cutting out; dyeing; saddle stitch; edge bevelling; edge finishing; tooling & carving. You probably won't need to skive a key fob, but you can use belly leather to practice that, or any other techniques you're not sure about

Many of the cheaper shop - bought wallets are made from split leather, and you could do the same.  Nigel Armitage has a video on making wallets, and a plan pack which has lots of advice as well as the plans themselves

And obviously, keep an eye on suppliers' websites for sales & offers; even better if you can call at a store, they usually have oddments they don't bother listing

For anything I'm not too sure about I make a mock - up from card, like cereal packets - staple/glue/tape it together. That gives me an idea of what the finished article will look like; the sequence of construction; and, for example, what sort of pockets I want in a wallet. Old cardboard is a lot  cheaper than leather!

Have a look at Nigel Armitage's videos on making pouches. Even if you don't want to make a pouch yourself, they are masterclasses in precision leatherwork, and similar techniques can be used for most other items

Edited by zuludog

Just another thought, might be,  used = Belts and or Lady's Purses , Etc

. Thier very expendable and or cheap at thrift type stores.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++

11 hours ago, TestTube said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-FOAMY-SHEETS-12-X-18-Goma-Eva-Sheets-For-Fofuchas-Doll-Craft-foam/231584153597?hash=item35eb7dbffd:m:muhr4qjHkjL1cvR87AYiKmQ

^I was about to purchase that, 12x18 inch 2mm Foam sheets, to practice with.

I'm wondering if those are any good AT ALL? Or if not, what is the cheapest stuff to use to practice without wasting expensive leather? (If you could provide a link that would be great although unnecessary)

Thank you!

Springfield Leather Company used to sell some really cheap leather sides.  I believe they are about $30.00 or so.  I got some that was really good a few years ago.  Like any "special deals" the selection is limited.  I'm not sure they have any at this time but you could contact them.

maybe Brettun's Village, up in Maine, USA, will work for you.  Along with full hides, they also sell smaller pieces, both by the piece and by the pound: <https://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/leather-panels/>
You don't seem to be interested in learning about tooling, which means that you don't need to worry about tooling leather. 
I've picked up some tooling bellies at Tandy for 10 dollars apiece, once -- it's possible to get some good deals, but if you're looking for leather RIGHT NOW then you have to take what you can find right now. 

8 hours ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Pieces-Tooling-2-lbs-Bag

We also have some other scrap bags and such. Look under the Leather menu option and then Remnants and Scrap Leather.

Maybe even give us a call or drop Kevin a message from the website. He has been known to send things out before we even list them on the website.

What I was going to recommend.  One of Springfield's bags of scrap.  In my admittedly limited experience the best way to practice working with leather is with leather.  I can't think of any other material that will behave the same.

I had an art teacher tell me once if you buy cheap paint you will paint something you really like but it just wont turn out as good as if you would have spent the little extra. Do yourself a favor and buy good leather and your projects and learning will be the better for it.

I second remnant/scrap bags from leather suppliers. You'll get a mixture of weights and sizes to practice on without wrecking a fresh hide.

•  

Just this morning I found an E-mail in my box from Springfield Leather in Missouri,   Which I think just might be your saving grace. attached please find link I found above from TonyS FLD LTHR 

I buy a lot of Herman oaks belly from Springfield.  They run about 28.00 per strip.  I have holsters belt liners etc.  carves good and is very economical.