Jzamora21

29-4 part replacement

Hello everyone, so I just bought a 29-4 and the check lever pn # 8659 is broken, well I replaced with one off Amazon ( of course) ... well it doesn’t work, on the down stroke it bottoms out. I wondering where to get a good replacement one, I see them on other sites but I’d like to ask the pros before wasting time again.

also, the tiny pin that holds the spring on top has broken flush..... what’s best way to remove?

thanks for the help, I’m new to the game.. but loving it!

pics better to help you.

glenn

Without pictures it is hard to help but... 1.Compare broken lever profile and thickness with your replacement part, often some grinding/filing/polishing is necessary.

2. Clean receiver area in needle bar driving lever. Remove gunk and foreign objects trapped in there.

3. Broken pin: file broken pin top flat (even if you have to remove a little of the casting) center punch the middle of the old pin and carefully drill out broken piece. You should feel when the drill bit bottoms. Replace pin with brass rod (available at most hobbyshops)

I'll check drill bit and rod diameter on my 29-4 (cir1915) later today. I'm thinking 1/16-3/32.

Edited by Ole South

Yep, appears to be 3/32" round pin with the sides filed flat to accept the spring slot. Use a piece of brass rod as a replacement slightly longer than needed, strike the replacement pin sharply to blind rivet set it and dress with a file. The pin sits about 1/8" proud.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the late response... life ugh! Busy

so I got a second replacement from another supplier, again it bottoms out on the top of the machine.

the parts are same thickness but when I place the new one against the old, they don’t line up.little worried to file this one because I won’t be able to return them. Oh well only $10.00.

sorry for no pics but for some reason hard to do on my phone.

so the holes are lined up, guess what Has over gets trimmed

C27B15D6-2F16-43FD-8D98-806E7F565349.jpeg

AB58FD6F-09EC-414A-903C-5EDE4DCE49F9.jpeg