Rchang

Beginner Sewing Machine

Hey there,

Wondering if I could get some advice on a good beginner industrial sewing machine. I have a price range $1000.00.

38 minutes ago, Rchang said:

Hey there,

Wondering if I could get some advice on a good beginner industrial sewing machine. I have a price range $1000.00.

You're going to have a hard time at that budget.  I get it.  I want a machine so bad it hurts - literally my fingers hurt.  But you're likely not going to find one that will sew veg-tan on $1000.  Closest you're going to get is (https://www.tolindsewmach.com/consew-p1206rb.html).  Note it says it can sew 3/8" of "MEDIUM TEMPER" leather.  That's a broad definition and sure leaves a lot to be interpreted.  I'd hate to drop a grand and find out that what I routinely sewed wasn't considered "medium".

You could save up a little more and get a Cobra Class 17 (https://leathermachineco.com/product/cobra-class-17-walking-foot-machine/) or Consew 206RB-5 (https://www.tolindsewmach.com/consew-206rb.html).  Keep in mind the RB-5 listed there needs to be upgraded to a servo motor.  Clutch motors are for the birds.    Both machines are pretty light.  The Consew will take #207 thread which is the lightest I'd consider acceptable for veg-tan sewing.  Here's a chart on thread sizes for you (https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html).  Maybe a creative fella could shove #277 thread in there, I don't know.  One of the "older" guys in the group might know.  

What would I get if I had my way?  Glad you asked.

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb3200.html

Things you should not skimp on to save a few bucks (according to me anyway):

1.  Servo motor.  More control, more power.

2.  Reverse.  You could flip your project around to back stitch....maybe.

3.  Compound Triple Feed.  One missed stitch because the feed dogs didn't adequately move your project and its probably ruined.  Not worth it in my opinion.

4. Shipping.  Make absolutely sure that whoever ships it will ship to a residential address or an address without a loading dock.  Some less scrupulous sellers will ship, find out it's going to a residence, and then take the item back and refund your money minus their "restocking" fee.  It's criminal I tell ya!

It might be worth it to give Toledo a call and see what they have in their used inventory.  I haven't done it yet but my understanding is they're a class-act business and willing to help.  

Good luck, keep us informed on what you find out.  I can't wait to see the pictures of your new machine when you get it.

It depends entirely on what you are thinking of making..so..what you want to make ?

On 3/3/2020 at 12:10 PM, Rchang said:

Hey there,

what type of leather?, what ounce thickness? and how many layers? I have a Jenome HD1000 that will sew maybe two layers of chrome tanned 2 oz. Thats a home machine. it will not sew anything any thicker or stiffer. the Cobra class 4 handles ever thing else. 

Jonmark, your post is, dare I say it, out of line. This part of the forum deals with industrial machines, your site deals with domestic machines.

49 minutes ago, dikman said:

Jonmark, your post is, dare I say it, out of line. This part of the forum deals with industrial machines, your site deals with domestic machines.

That post was spam.

Thanks Wiz.

Bert.

15 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

That post was spam.

Ahh, I was just trying to be polite. Perhaps you might want to delete my posts about too, wiz, as they no longer make any sense.

Edited by dikman

2 hours ago, dikman said:

Ahh, I was just trying to be polite. Perhaps you might want to delete my posts about too, wiz, as they no longer make any sense.

I wasn't being polite to the spammer. I'm leaving this online in case they come back to see if anybody reacted to their one and only post.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:10 PM, Rchang said:

Hey there,

It's a common request.  So common,  in fact, I called Toledo Ind. a few years ago and asked for the very same thing.  Keep in mind, Bob advertises "thousands" (I think) of sewing machines in stock.  When I called and asked if he had a used heavy, leather sewing machine, he gave me an immediate "nope". I asked how he knew in such short order that he didn't.  "I get this exact same call 3-4 times a week."  I'm sure he does, and 2 weeks later I was loading a new CB-3200 in the back of my truck from his shop. Used machines go for almost as much as new, and with the warranty (and someone like Bob a phone call away), new is almost always a better choice.  That being said, knuckle down, save up the coin and take a leap.  I taught myself to sew leather on that machine.  It is the best $1800 I ever spent and don't regret it for a second.

2 hours ago, Brooks125 said:

It's a common request.  So common,  in fact, I called Toledo Ind. a few years ago and asked for the very same thing.  Keep in mind, Bob advertises "thousands" (I think) of sewing machines in stock.  When I called and asked if he had a used heavy, leather sewing machine, he gave me an immediate "nope". I asked how he knew in such short order that he didn't.  "I get this exact same call 3-4 times a week."  I'm sure he does, and 2 weeks later I was loading a new CB-3200 in the back of my truck from his shop. Used machines go for almost as much as new, and with the warranty (and someone like Bob a phone call away), new is almost always a better choice.  That being said, knuckle down, save up the coin and take a leap.  I taught myself to sew leather on that machine.  It is the best $1800 I ever spent and don't regret it for a second.

That’s one of the reasons I had no problem dropping the money on the machine. 
if it turned out to be a bad idea for me I can sell it and take near zero loss. 

On 3/3/2020 at 3:10 PM, Rchang said:

Hey there,

You've gotten some advice about new machines and very heavy machines but I haven't seen an answer to what you want to do?

I just bought a very good condition consew 206rb-2 needing a little adjustment and a 206rb-3 running well a little more used each for $300 with tables and clutch motors. I have one machine (lighter) with a servo. I also have two servos in boxes that I haven't decided which machine to put them on. In the mean time I keep sewing with the clutch motors I've been using for 20 years. One of the 206s I sat down at to try out before I bought it and could run it at a out 200spm (actually likely less) with the clutch. That being said a servo can be added to any machine for $135.

I've bought sewing  Songer 111 walking foots for $100. A Pfaff 145 compound feed similar in capacity to 206 for $35.

To start you don't need new, no offense to the dealers here.  The ONLY machines that I paid more than a $750 for out of 8 industrial zig zags, 5 or 6 compound feeds, 2 walking foot machines, 2 29-4s and an Adler 30-1, a 132k6, 2 7 class singers and an electronic bartacker was the bartacker and one of the 7 class. A couple needed a new take up spring a screw or two or adjustment.  Oh, I forgot the Brother double needle cylinder arm that is all there but does need some work adjustment, cleaning and tuning for $300 with NIB hooks and lots of other parts.

Granted I watch the ads, are familiar.with a lot of machines and willing to work on them myself.

You can get a lot for $1000. If you need the heaviest cylinder arm compound feed they are rare used (the Brother is medium weight and and a steal) and command a high used price.  Otherwise tell us what you want to sew and the forum can guide you to the proper used machines.

Edited by councilman24