Engine1

Thought on best stitching pony/clamp

Hey, I’m researching stitching clamps before I buy any thoughts. I’m considering dream factory or Romanov middle size. I program be doing wallets, watch bands, and journal covers as I don’t see my self hand stitching bag when I have two perfectly good machines for that. 

I cringe when I read questions that contain the word best.  I think best varies based upon the person and the product in this case.  I would add one more option to the list.  I know I have often longed for a pony with wider jaws, like this...

Have you considered making your own until you decide what you need?  Do you have the skills?  A lot of us made our own and liked the results.  If you plunk down $100 or more only to find it doesn't suit, that would be a shame.  Of the two you listed, they are remarkably similar.  Go with the best deal.  Both are decent.

image.jpeg

Have you considered making your own until you decide what you need?  Do you have the skills?  A lot of us made our own and liked the results.  If you plunk down $100 or more only to find it doesn't suit, that would be a shame.  Of the two you listed, they are remarkably similar.  Go with the best deal.  Both are decent.

image.jpeg

Did you make this Tugadude?     I like the longer "clamps" integrated and it's apparent maneuverability.  

No, I saw it on etsy.  I really like it too.

FWIW I have owned a few styles.  Since the "Grandpa's Sit N Stitch"  is no longer made, I plan to go with Dream Factory's floorstanding model from Etsy.  I would also buy any of the other sizes (floorstanding or large, if I could only buy one).

I use this one,and i am very glad of it...

GEXq7.jpg

wPqGp.jpg

eK2k9.jpg

This one is the model 100 mm , i also have the smaller one 70 mm and depending on the job I have to do, I keep the base and just change the clamp.

the manufacturer: http://shornik.com/index.php/en/

I dont know if it's the "Best" but for my use everydays it can accept nearly 99% of my needs.

Edited by paloma

Myself I find the cheap ones on Etsy or ebay are ok , the ones that fit under tour knees, which means I can also swivel around to get the best light if needed, but whatever you chose they will be fine

Make your own. One doesn’t need much know-how.  Three pieces of 1”x4” wood, a hinge, few screws and a bolt. Lumber yard can cut for you. 

I like the Dream Factory ones. Been wanting one for quite a while. I almost bit the bullet last December. Not sure I'd risk ordering anything from South Korea at the present moment, though.

On 3/5/2020 at 6:51 AM, Tugadude said:

image.jpeg

Love the magnet at the sides of the saddle..

The magnets are a great touch.  You can also create a space to hold some beeswax to use on thread.  Lots of ways to customize.

Yes, magnets on a clamp it's really convenient..

J127r.jpg

On 3/4/2020 at 2:51 PM, Tugadude said:

I cringe when I read questions that contain the word best.  I think best varies based upon the person and the product in this case.  I would add one more option to the list.  I know I have often longed for a pony with wider jaws, like this...

image.jpeg

I also came across this on etsy, and really like the modular design.  I have made a couple of the bases out of maple, and have bought the clamps (for the base) from a local woodworking store.  Currently working on a couple of shorter (7") clamps that will be 3" wide for my wife and myself.  I don't care for the plastic handles, I tend to strip them out.  I plan on just using a regular bolt through the bottom with a flat washer on both sides and tighten it down with a lock nut where it will turn for me but not be loose. I have rare earth magnets from my model airplane hobby I plan to insert on both sides of the clamps, and pickup one of the cam levers from Rockler for tightening the clamps.  This is currently a work in progress, I'll post more pictures once I have finished it.

20200426_134134.jpg

15 hours ago, Draconias said:

I also came across this on etsy, and really like the modular design.  I have made a couple of the bases out of maple, and have bought the clamps (for the base) from a local woodworking store.  Currently working on a couple of shorter (7") clamps that will be 3" wide for my wife and myself.  I don't care for the plastic handles, I tend to strip them out.  I plan on just using a regular bolt through the bottom with a flat washer on both sides and tighten it down with a lock nut where it will turn for me but not be loose. I have rare earth magnets from my model airplane hobby I plan to insert on both sides of the clamps, and pickup one of the cam levers from Rockler for tightening the clamps.  This is currently a work in progress, I'll post more pictures once I have finished it.

20200426_134134.jpg

Very cool.  You mentioned magnets and it got me thinking in a direction I hadn't before.  I've seen where folks place magnets on clams or ponys to hold needles, etc., but I never considered using magnets to hold the jaws together.

Mush of the stuff I do is small.  Watch straps, small wallets, etc.  There is no reason why magnets wouldn't suffice to hold these kinds of lightweight items.  So no need to clamp anything at all, quick and easy.  Then if you are doing a large bag or something that needs to be clamped more securely you would then rely on whatever mechanism you have at your disposal.

Interesting.

In my post above, I was just saying that I will be putting the magnets on the exterior side to hold the needles.  But I have to admit that it is a cool idea to use magnets to hold the clamps together.  If they were strong, you might have to use some kind of lever to pry them apart  ;)

5 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Very cool.  You mentioned magnets and it got me thinking in a direction I hadn't before.  I've seen where folks place magnets on clams or ponys to hold needles, etc., but I never considered using magnets to hold the jaws together.

Mush of the stuff I do is small.  Watch straps, small wallets, etc.  There is no reason why magnets wouldn't suffice to hold these kinds of lightweight items.  So no need to clamp anything at all, quick and easy.  Then if you are doing a large bag or something that needs to be clamped more securely you would then rely on whatever mechanism you have at your disposal.

Interesting.

yup an Interesting idea. In my experience the magnets need to be very strong, eg N52 minimum, to hold through leather, but if the magnets are outside the leather area N36 or so would possibly do 

On 4/27/2020 at 1:56 PM, fredk said:

yup an Interesting idea. In my experience the magnets need to be very strong, eg N52 minimum, to hold through leather, but if the magnets are outside the leather area N36 or so would possibly do 

Thank you for these details.  Surely others, like me, find magnets interesting but do not yet know enough to select them appropriately.

48 minutes ago, johnv474 said:

Thank you for these details.  Surely others, like me, find magnets interesting but do not yet know enough to select them appropriately.

ah, do not be fooled. I only quote from experience, not science. I bought magnets rated as N36. They just about hold together thru 1 thickness of 0.8mm pigskin. I have also bought magnets rated at N52 and they hold thru 1.1mm upholstery leather.

I bought what was referred to as a "Grandpa's Sit N Stitch"  at the Pendleton Leather show 2 years ago. $20 and a few hours of my time. I wouldn't sew at anything else!

They DO exist.

There used to be a site.  Grandpas pastime or something.  However the site was down last I looked, unfortunately.