MoMatt

Cowboy Outlaw experience

I had been interested in these for quite a while and felt like there was not much out there on them.  Several videos on youtube, but all by sellers, not by users and they only showed sewing little stacks of scrap.  I decided to try one and thought I'd share my experience.  It seems to be well made.  Its very similar to the Boss.  In fact, there is no manual and when I inquired about that, Bob from Toledo said its basically a boss so use the manual for it.  It seems like the hook and the bobbins are similar to what is in the 441 clones, there is a bobbin cover, and I understand the internals are all heat treated steel instead of zinc or pot metal.  The thread guides are different and it has a bigger throat, like 9 inches.  I initially had some trouble, but after some coaching from Bob it turned out to be all operator error.  I've made a wallet and about a dozen double layer gun belts.  Its been working like a champ, no skipped stitches, tensions seem to stay put, stitch length is easy to adjust.  I've been using 346 thread, several colors of  cowboy brand and the stuff tandy sells in black. All seems to work fine.  I am glad I purchased it and I like it.  Attached is a link to a video of me making a belt and sewing it with the machine.  I am just a hobby person making stuff for myself and my friends.  I am a hobby blacksmith and I like to make knives axes and timberframing tools.  This thing will make short work of what was kind of a tedious process for me in terms of making sheaths.  Anyways, there isn't much out there in terms of reviews that I could find so I thought I would share my experience and I'd be happy to answer any questions if you are considering giving one a whirl.

Nicely done, I'm sure that someone else will find this useful at some point.:specool:

I've never seen anyone use a woodworking plane to bevel the edges, first time for everything. The only negative thing I can say is please mount it on a decent solid bench, I got a bit seasick with everything wobbling around!;)

You make it look so easy.Thanks for making the Great video!

Edited by CowboyBob

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the feed back on the machine. I was curious to see how it worked but again all I saw were company videos. 

I would reinforce the top of the bench so there is no wiggle or movement in the machine itself.  I think you will find even easier to use.

glenn

I've had a cowboy outlaw for over a year now.. To be fair it has done a quite a bit of work and beats the crap out of handsewing.. But this thing has been one big headache. A machine that cost this much should never bind and the bobbin thread quite often gets wadded up. To be honest this thing has soured me on Cowboy machines period. The outlaw should be outlawed! I was warned by the salesman not to buy it but I didn't listen. We've had to take this thing apart several times already.  But you shouldn't have to feel like your bending pushrods and valves when you come down with the arm! It's my father that mostly works on it. But yeah I wouldn't recommend at all.

1 hour ago, FredBeagle said:

I've had a cowboy outlaw for over a year now.. To be fair it has done a quite a bit of work and beats the crap out of handsewing.. But this thing has been one big headache. A machine that cost this much should never bind and the bobbin thread quite often gets wadded up. To be honest this thing has soured me on Cowboy machines period. The outlaw should be outlawed! I was warned by the salesman not to buy it but I didn't listen. We've had to take this thing apart several times already.  But you shouldn't have to feel like your bending pushrods and valves when you come down with the arm! It's my father that mostly works on it. But yeah I wouldn't recommend at all.

IF it's threaded correctly,the tension is tight enough ,make sure you pull the handle all the way forward & back & you always hold the thread for the first 3 stitches it shouldn't be jamming up.Miss anyone of the above & any Industrial might jam.

Edited by CowboyBob

I find the circular action of my 29K to be very natural and easy, with no force applied, Therefore I wonder what are the advantages of a pull/ push setup which looks very notchy and not a natural action, but to be fair I have never tried one, but assume you would soon tire on the Pull/push action

I have a 29 patcher with the wheel on the front that I really like, so much so in fact, that I was going to buy a 3200 set up with a wheel.  I was advised that the wheel would be very hard to turn with a 26 needle and 346 thread.   The advantage of the up down motion is the needle slides through a half inch of vegtan effortlessly. It is kind of tiring on a belt, I take a few 30 second breaks when doing a belt. Pretty soon the cycle becomes something you don’t have to think about. 

Fredbeagle, sorry to hear you have had that trouble. I understand the frustration I was pretty sure I wasn’t doing anything wrong until we got it dialed in Since then it’s been a lot of fun.  If you did get a birds nest from forgetting to hold the first Stich or short stroking you probably had to take the hook out. The two screws that hold the cover (the ones with springs) are not supposed to be tight. Back them off a full turn from tight. If you pulled hard with it snarled you may have knocked the timing. Good luck I hope you figure it out. 

Edited by MoMatt

I did all that.. you always have to hold the threads when getting started. And you always have to go all the way back with the handle. We've been doing that since day 1. Dad has it going pretty good right now. And I guess you could buy any sewing machine no matter how expensive they are and have issues. But the outlaw manual should of been released already a long time ago and it sounds like it will never be written or released.. I know the old man that runs Cowboy is having health issues and was in the hospital. I'm sure the time I felt like I fighting it and bending bars the timing was off. It's just a new machine should have the bugs already worked out I feel. It is a sickening feeling when you pull the arm down and you feeling it bending something off inside there. And I take a lot of time tooling a gun holster and it will sew down one side just fine but then it takes a crap and it wads up. That's enough to make a preacher cuss! But yeah it happens a lot with the outlaw. There needs to be a manual and not told to go get a Tipman Boss manual it's the same thing.. That's not how professionals roll.

3 hours ago, FredBeagle said:

When it works great I love it.. When it messes up which is often I don't love it anymore!

If it was sewing along just fine and all of a sudden stoped sewing fine. That is 99% user error. I bet if you found someone in your area familiar with industrial leather machines they could help you figure the machine out. I doubt it's the machine. 

Yeah that must be it.. Look the man asked for experiences and I gave mine.. maybe you had better luck with it.. I totally disagree about that being 99% user error but then maybe you sell outlaws and you don't want anybody saying other wise. This is my final answer.. History won't be kind to the outlaw I feel. It's the Ford Pinto of Sewing machines. It could be better and it has made me quite a bit of money. But no excuse for not having a manual for it already..Another thing of concern is the old man that invented the Outlaw he just had a heart attack I believe.. I don't know if his son is gonna take over but long term service for all cowboy machines concerns me as well. For the problems we're having with it considering what we paid I'm angry about it. I could of bought one of those cheap Chinese manual sewing machines for under 300 dollars and it probably would of done just as good a job. I had to go out and buy a used Singer industrial  machine yesterday because I can't depend on this outlaw. But if you got your heart set on owning the Ford Pinto of sewing machines best of luck to you.

Neatsfoot oil??!!! That is the worst thing that ever happened to leather. I have owned and own vintage saddlebags that were turned into concrete by that stuff.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:54 PM, MoMatt said:

I had been interested in these for quite a while and felt like there was not much out there on them.  Several videos on youtube, but all by sellers, not by users and they only showed sewing little stacks of scrap.  I decided to try one and thought I'd share my experience.  It seems to be well made.  Its very similar to the Boss.  In fact, there is no manual and when I inquired about that, Bob from Toledo said its basically a boss so use the manual for it.  It seems like the hook and the bobbins are similar to what is in the 441 clones, there is a bobbin cover, and I understand the internals are all heat treated steel instead of zinc or pot metal.  The thread guides are different and it has a bigger throat, like 9 inches.  I initially had some trouble, but after some coaching from Bob it turned out to be all operator error.  I've made a wallet and about a dozen double layer gun belts.  Its been working like a champ, no skipped stitches, tensions seem to stay put, stitch length is easy to adjust.  I've been using 346 thread, several colors of  cowboy brand and the stuff tandy sells in black. All seems to work fine.  I am glad I purchased it and I like it.  Attached is a link to a video of me making a belt and sewing it with the machine.  I am just a hobby person making stuff for myself and my friends.  I am a hobby blacksmith and I like to make knives axes and timberframing tools.  This thing will make short work of what was kind of a tedious process for me in terms of making sheaths.  Anyways, there isn't much out there in terms of reviews that I could find so I thought I would share my experience and I'd be happy to answer any questions if you are considering giving one a whirl.

Thanks for your information! Sorry for reviving an old thread. 

I'm leaning towards buying one of these Cowboy Outlaws. I don't think I have the room for a cb3200 and I definitely understand the pros and cons along with the limitations of a hand crank machine

There is still so little information out there from reviewers. After a year what are your thoughts? Do you still have this thing? Are you able to follow a nice straight stitch line going slow even with only 1 hand to guide your project? 

Like I said, I have a very small area to work and think this machine would be best for me after looking at similar powered options. I wouldn't be using is often and I am a hobbyist. 

Ill definitely take the good with the bad too, so please let menkno, thanks!

Hello,  well I haven’t done very much with sewing since this time frame.  I bought a farm and have been focused on building barns and stuff. In fact my leather working stuff is still in storage.  If you are hobby sewing holsters belts etc. I think you will like a outlaw. You can put a Stich in the groove where you want it it will sew very fast compared to pricking or using an awl. I am going to keep mine.  Now one thing I will add is it’s not that much smaller than a  3200. In fact the head is probably the same size. No motor of course but those are under the table. Good luck!  

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. Good luck with your farm adventures!

Thanks for the honest feedback. I am keen on one of these too. Nice work with the belt. Very nice. 

Gotta hold both threads taught for first 2 or 3 stitches.  Then gotta crank the handle like you mean it. I've had mine 2 years no problems as long as you follow their instructions.  

20231113_185046.jpg