Tandy's sling kit made it easy and just used the included oak leaf pattern. the boot was a different story.  the rifle is a 45-70 with 225 grain cartridges.  Man those puppies are big and heavy.  No problem bringing down a grizzly or a bull moose! Bit of a learning curve since this was my first boot. The geometric pattern I saw somewhere and the customer liked it too so I just had to give it a try.

20200104_091716.thumb.jpg.683b227201c26c576ae224a12076b196.jpg

20200102_190203.jpg

20200104_091734.jpg

20200104_091704.jpg

Thanks!

Absolutely Gorgeous! 

Bet that hurt when you hit your thumb lol!

Sorry, not me in the photo, that's the customer. I do have one just like it though from putting up some siding on my house. LOL!

beautiful work. 
One suggestion. don't have metal on wood contact. your grommets will leave marks on the wood. and on my rifle that would be unacceptable. 

The Tandy kit comes pre-punched for screw posts. Out of curiosity, how would you put it together and it still be removable?

10 hours ago, Fonzarellis said:

The Tandy kit comes pre-punched for screw posts. Out of curiosity, how would you put it together and it still be removable?

The sling is good to go as is. I mean the stock sleeve. There's nothing wrong with just lacing it up with leather lace and leaving the grommets out. Just be sure to punch holes far enough from the edge not to tear through. This of course only applies to one you would make from a pattern not a kit. Pre punched with holes big enough for grommets you have no choice. I'd still wrap a piece of split leather under the grommets though

Oooooooooh, ok. You are absolutely right. There are many ways to build the butt wrap. I had no pattern so I just cut a piece of cardboard and started building the pieces. Never even occurred to me about the grommets. Good catch.

2 hours ago, Fonzarellis said:

Oooooooooh, ok. You are absolutely right. There are many ways to build the butt wrap. I had no pattern so I just cut a piece of cardboard and started building the pieces. Never even occurred to me about the grommets. Good catch.

Aside from that very beautiful work I like the added touches on the basket weave. I'm brand new to tooling and told myself years ago I'd never do it. Well I now have a few dozen stamps and a swivel knife so I guess that argument is over. Now it looks like I need a new stamp to add those accents like you have on the basket weave

Piece of art, congratulation!

Thanks for the kind words. It's actually a basket weave and a a very old (like it's owner) border tool. I saw this combination somewhere and remembered I had the old tool in me ever expanding plethora of stamps. I liked it so we'll I made some coasters using the same pattern and colors.

Does the tooled cheek side rub abrasion under recoil?

Edited by DrmCa

Beautiful work and rifle. Good job!

Thank you. I wish I had a rifle like that. The pic is the customer.

Very nice!!!

Almost to nice to use