AndrewChung

Stitch spacing

Maybe I'm being too OCD about it, but when you are stitching and the length of the stitch line does not divide evenly into the spacing of your chisel/pricking iron, what do you do? Do you just leave that last stitch extra long/short? For example, let's say I'm using a 4mm spacing chisel. If the line I'm trying to stitch is 18mm, do you do four stitches at 4mm plus one at 2mm? Or do you do three stitches at 4mm, and two stitches at 3mm?  Or there's some other better way to address this problem?

If you have a single iron then somewhere not obvious just insert a slightly smaller stitch, nobody will notice, If needed to two seperate ones

Like Chris said, yes you will inevitably have to make a long or short stitch at some point, whether sewing by hand or machine. You just learn to plan for it and put it somewhere less noticeable like where a strap or rivet will sit. Honestly, it's hard to see even when looking for it if you've done it right, and the shorter your stitches the easier it is to hide.

I Agree with Matt and Chris, Also what you could do is from the start set out your stitches on the template and adapt to your iron spacing, I imagine you are doing it the other way? cutting your pattern first, then hoping the stitches will fit??

OK........ so you have a line of stitching........as you come towards the end, you can estimate or imagine  whether the last 3 or 4 stitches are going to end perfectly, or if you are going to end up with an odd stitch; too long or too short

If it is going to give you an odd length, stop using the stitching chisel, and change to a single prong or an awl. Then spread out the last 3 or 4 holes so that the last hole ends right where you want it; you should be able to judge that by eye

In the example you have given, 4  stitches in 18mm will give you 4 stitches with  a stitch length of 18/4 = 4,5mm.  And that extra 0,5mm will hardly be noticeable

As Matt S & jimi have stated, in many cases you can set the length of stitching in advance, and thus plan on having an even number of stitches

Have a look at Nigel Armitages videos on making pouches, even if you don't actually want to make a pouch. They are masterclasses on precision leatherwork, and preparing the pattern first. He expands on this sort of thing on his Vimeo channel

Edited by zuludog

I start punching/marking my holes from either end and hide the odd lengths in the middle.

Yep what @Matt S said. 

Most times I use a spacer, sometimes I use a pricking iron...and sometimes I just guess, but using my accumulated knowledge. 

I don't want to make it too perfect :) To this day, no-one has ever said that ' stitch isn't quite right' .

HS

On 4/1/2020 at 8:21 PM, rodneywt1180b said:

I start punching/marking my holes from either end and hide the odd lengths in the middle.

This. Every time. Starting by marking the stitches before punching will show in the middle how much error you're dealing with.