mike02130

Cutting mat

Hello,

I’m interested in a cutting mat for use with a head and Japanese knife. When using my green mat the blade cuts into the mat resulting in drag.  Especially when cutting curves.  I’ve read a couple posts saying that green mats shouldn’t be used. I’ve tried white cutting boards and they cause the same problem. I notice on YouTube that a lot of leather workers from Korea, China and Japan use some type of acrylic or plexiglass to cut on. Does anyone know what material they use?  Does anyone have another recommendation?
Thanks,

Mike

Easy enough to experiment so go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and obtain some clear plexiglass.  They'll cut to size for you or they might have some pre-cuts.  Not a big investment.

The red, high density plastic is supposed to be really good and they use it under clicker dies.  Tandy had some for sale recently and it was cheaper than I had seen before.

I have good luck with the white "cutting board" material, but sounds like you haven't had good luck with them.  They aren't all exactly the same.  Some are denser than others.  

1 hour ago, mike02130 said:

When using my green mat the blade cuts into the mat resulting in drag

44 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

The red, high density plastic is supposed to be really good and they use it under clicker dies.

I have purchased a red, high density clicker pad from Campbell-Randall. May not compete with the sale at Tandy, but very durable.

http://www.campbell-randall.com/product/clicker-pads-18-x-36-x-2-in

CLK34437.jpg

Thanks to you two for replying. I figured on just going and buying a piece of plexi but thought I’d take a chance here first. 

I use this one, it's perfect price/quality!

https://www.cuttingmatsxxl.com/?no_lredirect=true

over my gridiron cutting mat

Edited by paloma

;) pleasure.

( it's a very good product and very cut resistant )

On 3/6/2020 at 10:02 AM, paloma said:

;) pleasure.

( it's a very good product and very cut resistant )

How did your knives perform on this type of mat? Also they seem to be in the UK? 

4 hours ago, Sanch said:

How did your knives perform on this type of mat? Also they seem to be in the UK? 

my knives kiss me every time I use them on this carpet.In UK maybe.

This may not be the answer but for kitchen cutlery they say the Bamboo cutting boards do the least wear on chefs knife blades.  In terms of needing resharpening. Not inexpensive, you may also check the thrift or resale stores for used picture frames and take out the Plexiglas if you do not have old one around the house. In my area .50 cents to $2.00  

51 minutes ago, mrwatch said:

This may not be the answer but for kitchen cutlery they say the Bamboo cutting boards do the least wear on chefs knife blades.  In terms of needing resharpening. Not inexpensive, you may also check the thrift or resale stores for used picture frames and take out the Plexiglas if you do not have old one around the house. In my area .50 cents to $2.00  

very bad idea the plexiglas® and bamboo wood is very hard for our leather knives .

but everyone does what they want.

Edited by paloma

I use MDF for all my cutting that what we used where i done my training works really well, does not dull the blade and no drag. When one side becomes to cut up turn it over, it cheap too got mine free off cuts from local timber yard.

Just remember only use it for a cutting board because after awhile it becomes cut up and it will scratch your work.

Hope this helps

JCUK

You are going to have to make a decision as to what you want.

If you want a top that will not dull your knife, . . . then the blade will cut into it slightly, . . . and drag.

If you want a top that will not create drag, . . . it will dull your blade.

I chose the 36 by 60 cutting mat that is sold by Joann fabric for folks cutting fabric.  It works great for me, . . . there is a slight drag at times, . . . but slightly lifting up on the pressure will usually alleviate most of it.

Mine as been on there for over 10 years, . . . works great in my opinion.

May God bless,

Dwight

new shop first belt 022514.jpg

6 hours ago, paloma said:

my knives kiss me every time I use them on this carpet.In UK maybe.

Contacted company waiting for reply!

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

You are going to have to make a decision as to what you want.

If you want a top that will not dull your knife, . . . then the blade will cut into it slightly, . . . and drag.

If you want a top that will not create drag, . . . it will dull your blade.

I chose the 36 by 60 cutting mat that is sold by Joann fabric for folks cutting fabric.  It works great for me, . . . there is a slight drag at times, . . . but slightly lifting up on the pressure will usually alleviate most of it.

Mine as been on there for over 10 years, . . . works great in my opinion.

May God bless,

Dwight

new shop first belt 022514.jpg

Love the setup. My cutting table is 35"x55" UHMW 3/4" thick top 2x6 and 4x4 legs I'm looking at the cutting mats that @paloma posted the link for, to cover the UHMW.

I can vouch for your satisfaction with this product...

mine 90 x 60 x 5

gKmPD.jpg

aKYGE.jpg

XKn7q.jpg

works great

Edited by paloma

1 hour ago, paloma said:

I can vouch for your satisfaction with this product...

mine 90 x 60 x 5

gKmPD.jpg

aKYGE.jpg

XKn7q.jpg

works great

That looks nice! Waiting to hear about shipping cost at the moment...

I made a mistake the dimension of the carpet are: 90 cm x 60cm x 5mm

;)

Shipping cost to US is kinda high! But I might just bite the bullet...

@paloma you should show the mat after a cut has been made on it!

yes Sanch,

I don't mind, but it's going to be hard to visualize because you can barely see anything.

v8PrA.jpg

74wvm.jpg

A3pbg.jpg

rP2re.jpg

L25NL.jpg

I run my finger over the cut to remove the leather dust and you can hardly see a thing.

5NAOy.jpg

Edited by paloma

@paloma thank you so much! The cost of shipping the mat was a little higher than I can afford currently but guaranteed I will be back to revisit this option!  For now I have redone my cutting table with a local purchase from Joann's fabrics and using a coupon code I only paid $30 USD for a large 36"x59" cutting mat.

Cleaning table top 1115045832_mypersonalEDC20200322_115749_resized.jpg.a6aa781e2bc2368f4e737dfd9d87c2e6.jpg

Mat placed with carpet tape as suggested by @Dwight870396422_mypersonalEDC20200322_115835_resized.jpg.144886c04e67b1124036e9175f3f828c.jpg

Table back in place.1108175185_mypersonalEDC20200322_115920_resized.jpg.fd68a82278bd1ef65254b6ac4e10a65a.jpg

Sample cut, shows the mat does scar but I think I will get my $30 of use out of it.1159389913_mypersonalEDC20200322_115956_resized.jpg.e88e808ee6f881d46b5060668d3def0f.jpg