Bant

Stitching Groover Selection

Howdy Folks.  I need a recommendation for a stitching Groover to use in the center of a project.  When working close to the edge I've got that covered, just haven't done any stitching in central areas.  Guess I should mention that I hand stitch only.  Thanx!

Well, my initial post didn't blow air up anyone's knickers, so let's try this.  Does anyone have any experience with this tool?

https://www.stecksstore.com/freehand-stitching-groover-88074-11/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkomo9aqG6AIVkZOzCh3sdAtGEAkYCSABEgJqYPD_BwE

Edited by Bant
still can't spell

No experience of that one. I use these - link below. I buy them  by the 5 so I always have a sharp one to hand. Although they say 'edge beveler' they make an excellent V groove, as can been seen in their photo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Pcs-Working-Hand-Leather-Edge-Skiving-DIY-Craft-Keen-Edge-Beveler-Silver-Tools/352887641342?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=622143640519&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sir, many thanks for Your response!

4 hours ago, Bant said:

Well, my initial post didn't blow air up anyone's knickers, so let's try this.  Does anyone have any experience with this tool?

https://www.stecksstore.com/freehand-stitching-groover-88074-11/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkomo9aqG6AIVkZOzCh3sdAtGEAkYCSABEgJqYPD_BwE

That groover is OK, but you have to use a straight edge and keep it at a constant angle.  If you "wobble", the groove will as well.  Best to practice so that you know how it will behave.

4 hours ago, fredk said:

No experience of that one. I use these - link below. I buy them  by the 5 so I always have a sharp one to hand. Although they say 'edge beveler' they make an excellent V groove, as can been seen in their photo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Pcs-Working-Hand-Leather-Edge-Skiving-DIY-Craft-Keen-Edge-Beveler-Silver-Tools/352887641342?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=622143640519&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've wondered about those.  They are certainly cheap enough.  I presume that they can be sharpened like the "typical" beveler?

6 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

I've wondered about those.  They are certainly cheap enough.  I presume that they can be sharpened like the "typical" beveler?

yup, they shure can, but I'm terrible at actually managing it thus I just buy and have a quantity of sharp ones handy. They do a lovely edge bevel too, much better than my old 'proper' one. These come in a U shape as well for U shaped sewing grooves. They are small enough, only about 4 inches long, to fit the hand and are easily maneuverable. Use a straight-edge for straight-aways and freehand on curves  

I use the one bellow in your link, the one they call pro stitching tool ( I don´t find anything pro about it??) with the fence off and up against a cardboard template for example if i am in from the edge like so....

20200311_201046.thumb.jpg.04e07105d5b9ae510b665637f7d3806e.jpg

47 minutes ago, fredk said:

yup, they shure can, but I'm terrible at actually managing it thus I just buy and have a quantity of sharp ones handy. They do a lovely edge bevel too, much better than my old 'proper' one. These come in a U shape as well for U shaped sewing grooves. They are small enough, only about 4 inches long, to fit the hand and are easily maneuverable. Use a straight-edge for straight-aways and freehand on curves  

this technique works pretty good and if you use them a lot, is worth fashioning.

Thanks for that

To the OP, this is another alternative. I do have one of these and I find it handy to do a free-hand sewing groove when the sewing line is tight up next to a shaped bit*. The bit that follows the edge is removable, leaving the groover free,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-7-In-1-Adjustable-Stitching-Groover-Crease-Leather-Lot-Leather-Tools-Ki-B9B6/233416477077?_trkparms=aid%3D1110002%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190711095549%26meid%3Dc3bfd89e5f9a496ab782f87669caa18f%26pid%3D100047%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D233299625232%26itm%3D233416477077%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSellersOtherItemsV2%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108

* eg; when a case is wet moulded in two parts around an object and the two sides need sewn together.

It also depends whether you want to cut a groove or just indent one into the leather? The one the op linked to only indents.

Gentlemen, thanks much for the responses.  I'm merely a hobbist but have been asked to do a knife sheath with a snake skin inlay on the front.  So, what's  left of my mind, has told me that instead of just gluing the snake skin to the back side ofthe sheath, it would be a good idea to to stitch around the perimeter as well.  That led me to the thoughtthat a groove forthe stitches would be a good idea.  Thus the genesis of the original question.  That being said, I'm wide open to suggestions as to how to procede.  I just don't want to screw this up as the skin is a stunning example of Copperhead.

On 3/11/2020 at 6:24 PM, dikman said:

It also depends whether you want to cut a groove or just indent one into the leather? The one the op linked to only indents.

AGREED.  The one I purchased when I first started is an actual "groover" it cuts a groove into the leather so your stitches lay below the surface of the leather. @Bant If you zoom in you can see the tiny hole and cutting edge.IMG_20200322_122758_resized.jpg.fe4594823ead97f866a2c88969f0558a.jpg