Zac

The cheapest of the cheap servo motor

Apologies in advance for another servo motor question. Trust me though I have read a lot of the previous posts I’ve also noticed most go down the exact same path, though I am in Australia so at least I shouldn’t get the same recommendation as 99% of others!

I have a Seiko cylinder arm machine with a clutch motor. I have been determined to learn how to use the clutch motor well - and I reckon I have got it pretty under control now (the accidental take off is much rarer now!). My determination was partly due to me not wanting to spend an extra $400 (Australian) on a new motor and also being able to jump on any machine without worry. I often visit factories and although I am yet to do any sewing at a factory it’s nice to know I could.

but then I saw these servos on eBay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132436220000

This is the most suitable I think I have found which in the cheap category it is only 100 aud (66 usd). It’s minimum speed is 200rpm which seems pretty ok to me? Most of the cheapies seem to be 500rpm minimum.

Long winded but do you think it is worth giving one a go? or should I not worry about it if the clutch motor is working ok. I don’t really want to be stuffing around too much and finding I have less control or less power etc.

I haven't enjoyed the brushless style servo very much.  They can be a little jumpy when first starting out.  Beyond that I really dislike the two button system to adjust speed and other features.  I much prefer the simple variable speed servos with a dial to set the max speed.  They are quite inexpensive in the states.  Not sure what the availability and shipping is in Australia.   

I swap the pulley for an extra small 45mm pulley, and they work great.  

Good luck with it.  

servo 2.jpg

Zac, that is a fairly generic type of servo from China. I bought a similar one recently, it has a different control box but specs are pretty much the same, as was the price. I haven't used it much but it seems to work ok. I also had another similar one but sold it with a machine, no problems with that one either. These motors work better for leather if you either fit a speed reducer or replace the hand wheel with a larger pulley. That's not to say that they don't work as they are, but the mods give greater slow speed control and more torque. Replacing the motor pulley with a 2" one helps too.

If you can successfully control a clutch motor then you'll have no problems with a servo.

Fyi, my first servos were bought from China about 3-4 years ago, using Aliexpress, and cost me between $190 - $250. They are now being sold here on ebay cheaper than you can buy the same thing from China! :dunno:

I have seen ones like Pinto posted here in Oz for around $400!!

Thanks guys. Yes that’s partly why I made this post as most are from America and the motors which are recommend in virtually every post aren’t really available here or if they are are super expensive.

I don’t feel like I really need to change what I have so don’t want to spend much of do it if the cheap ones aren’t worthwhile!

where did you get a larger hand wheel from dikman?

Not a handwheel, just a larger pulley. I've fitted one to a Pfaff and one to a Seiko, they are just pulleys that I had in my pulley/bearings spares box! I've found that this approach is simpler than fitting a speed reducer and works the same. This is the $99 servo.

Pfaff 335 2a.jpg

Edited by dikman

Hi, I'm new here. I picked up a Singer 31-15 in great shape as a first machine to learn on.  The clutch motor is a beast but tameable for me EXCEPT for those times I really need it to stop at a given point.    Feathering it up was OK but down to a stop; not as easy.  I bought the one Pinto shows above off Amazon.com for about $115US and $35 shipping to Canada.  It arrived and the only surprise was there weren't any surprises!  It installs easily in a couple hours.  In my case the table already had speed nuts installed in addition the reverse configured bolt pattern.  Even the belt lines up and works well.  There is some fiddling with the 'speed control' knob. The light pressure on the pedal to release the brake and allow hand control with the hand wheel was welcome. I'd recommend you mount the on/off switch where you can easily SEE it because it's silent and easy to forget that you haven't turned it on! Overall, I'd say you can't go too far wrong for your money, except for your location! Good luck.

It's a shame the Servo like Pinto's pic is so pricey in Australia, I was going to put one on my 132K6, but but the time I paid postage, it was going to cost more then I paid for K6.

I pulled the motor out and made sure the clutch movement was lubed and moving smoothly put it back and found it easier to use.

Why are parts so over prices compared to other countries, I know we have a small population, but some of the prices are way over the top.

Bert.

I've heard lots of reasons why, Bert, but all I know for sure is that it's always been this way here. The advent of the internet (and ebay etc) has been a boon to we folks here in the Antipodes, at least we can now buy parts and accessories at reasonable prices. How often have you looked something up on ebay from China and then further down seen exactly the same item for sale here at double (or more) the price? Happens to me a lot.

Considering we are much closer to China than the US you would expect shipping costs to be less, which should make items cheaper but I don't think it does. Of course, our lousy $ doesn't help either!

Your right, of coarse. I have had motorbikes that are made in the US (not HD) and importing parts and accessories for more that 30 years and now I am doing the same for my machines.

I had one local Bike shop ask me why I do not go their any more and I knew I would be hitting my head on a brick wall, so I just walked away. He did not understand how I was paying less then half his price to factory parts.

The quality of the Chinese is not as good as Adler or Singer, but I can afford to replace them if the wear quicker then original, if they where available.

Bert.

Hello again Zac, I've just seen the REX servo above listed on Amazon.com.au for $195 AU.  With exchange and delivery from the US, I paid $203Can for mine.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Industrial-Sewing-Machine-SERVO-Motor/dp/B001VK9YH8/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=servo+sewing+machine+motor&qid=1583589101&sr=8-4

$280 delivered - and it comes from the US! Not bad, I guess, but I'm happy with my $99 one, does the job and I'm $180 richer.:)

As a new member I would to add a note about servo motors.  After realizing that my Chinese shoe patch would not sew well enough to sew the holsters I make I decided to make it an automatic awl machine.  So I got a servo motor from Amazon.  750w I hp. $125.   Digital  control.  Mounted it on my shoe patch table and replaced the 4 inch pulley with a 1 1/2 inch pulley driving a 10 inch pulley  on the shoe patch machine.  Set the motor to the slowest spi and all works fine. very slow and plenty of power.   For a similar motor on Amazon see Mophorn.      Now since I read some of the post about sewing machines and people were having trouble finding belts the right size.  Actually  you can make your own belt by cutting one that is too long and using  industrial adhesive to glue the sharp angle cut and also wiring or sewing the joint together.  Please note: this will not work on your power mower.  

If this info. is in the wrong place. Would someone please let me know where to put it.   

Back in the early days of cyanoacrylate adhesives the ads for them usually showed them being used to glue the two ends of a cut rubber composite drive belt together, and then the belt being stressed..because that is one of the things that they work best upon. :)

I sill use leather belts on some (most) of my machines and if it's a short belt I sew them with heavy thread.

Bert.

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

Back in the early days of cyanoacrylate adhesives the ads for them usually showed them being used to glue the two ends of a cut rubber composite drive belt together, and then the belt being stressed..because that is one of the things that they work best upon. :)

Yep, rubber and skin, super glue works exceptionally well on them.

Thanks everyone I am going to give the $99 servo a go. Hopefully it does the job, I will let you know how it turns out.

On the pricing between Aus and the US, there is obviously larger quantities meaning less cost but i think there is a lot of people also know they can get away with charging higher prices in Australia. At my previous job was working for a larger Australian company which sold here and also and in America and the acceptable profit margins in America was much less than what they expected here. The reasoning being that America was more competitive. The internet and online shopping is definitely making it harder for companies to do this so hopefully it will improve over time!

On 3/5/2020 at 10:15 PM, Pintodeluxe said:

I haven't enjoyed the brushless style servo very much.  They can be a little jumpy when first starting out.  Beyond that I really dislike the two button system to adjust speed and other features.  I much prefer the simple variable speed servos with a dial to set the max speed.  They are quite inexpensive in the states.  Not sure what the availability and shipping is in Australia.   

I swap the pulley for an extra small 45mm pulley, and they work great.  

Good luck with it.  

servo 2.jpg

Hi Pinto, do you know If your motor is slower than 500 R.P.M  ???  Do you know how slow can work your motor???

Would like to know wether your servomotor type is slower than the brushless chinese servomotors...¿¿???

I can find this kind of motor in UK , I am Actually buying servos, in Spain, that goes to 500 R.P.M. I need to add a reducer pulley system for go slower.

Hope your kind of servo save me to use the pulley system.

Edited by Miquel
apply reply advise option

Hi Miguel,

I usually don't go by the numbers on the dial.  If you turn the variable speed knob down too far, you'll lose all power.  

I usually set the dial to 1200-1500 max speed.  It seems to start at 0 rpm, and ramp up in a slow and predictable way.

If you need crawling slow, stitch by stitch, then you'll need to add a speed reducer.

Hi Pinto, thanks for your reply. So, you think that your motor can go slower than 500 R.P.M ??? Maybe the slower is around 200??? Or even less than 200???

A quick follow up, my new servo motor arrived yesterday afternoon so I set it up and have got it up and running.

It was a very easy change over, it fit in the same spot as the old motor. Took around an hour to do the full change over. The new motor came with a 75mm pulley, my old clutch motor had a 50mm pulley so I swapped that over too.

It’s very nice having a silent motor in a small apartment that in itself is almost worth the $99. It didn’t come with any manual or instructions so I have no idea what the up and down button do.. but it is a lot slower than it was and so much easier to control so no complaints from me! I’m sure some mucking around and I will figure it out.

I'd contact the seller and ask for the operating instructions. If they say they can't get them then tell them you want a refund, under ebay policy, as it's no use if you can't programme it and under Australian Consumer Law it's therefore not of merchantable quality. It shouldn't be sold without the instructions. Trying to figure it out without some sort of instructions isn't going to be easy as you have no idea what parameters it has available.

Your right dikman and if they say they don't have or won't, give you a refund, tell them you will go to PayPal and cancel the payment and PayPal  will have to by law, as dikman stated.

Bert.