Hodgie77

Singer 16-188 help with timing, threading?

I have scoured the web, and here, but I really can't find a good guide for ensuring mtg timing is right, and threading the bobbin correctly. I downloaded the user manual that is often linked on this site, and it's really vague to me. I'm a newbie, but I really thought I had the mechanical aptitude to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I run it slow by hand, it won't pick up the bobbin thread, and the needle thread gets wound up on the bobbin carrier. I believe I have my needle height set correctly by the manual, but I could certainly be wrong. 

I found a Parts manual in my collection, but sadly it is to big to post here.

If you would like it please message me..

Bert.

56 minutes ago, Bert51 said:

I found a Parts manual in my collection, but sadly it is to big to post here.

If you would like it please message me..

Bert.

I sent you a message bert 

Done.

I was wondering how are you going setting up your 188.

I other 16 manuals which show timing, even a 31 is also similar.

Bert.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:54 AM, Bert51 said:

Bert.

Hi Bert and Hodgie

Ive just recently bought a Singer 16k33 and managed to find a user manual for 15 and 16 class CB machines, but if you have anything more detailed, re timing, parts, as you describe, I’d really appreciate it too please.  May I join in?

Aren’t  those decals lovely!  I wondered whether there was once one on the base plate that’s been painted over, but it doesn’t seem so. Even got one on the. Lack face plate. 

I can’t find out much about 16ks except it’s drop feed, and this one looks quite a domestic/ tailoring set up. I imagine it could cope with leather though?

I admit this machine is why I’m here!  Really I’m a quilter, but I’ve already read much of use and interest here, and discovered I could start a whole new hobby with leather!

A big thank you

93EB3659-7FEA-4B66-80E2-03FF8F17ED5F.jpeg

@BellaBee

It's beautiful, but is a bottom feed tailoring machine for cloth. Don't waste your time, or ruin the machine trying to sew leather over a couple of ounces thickness. To do that may require a roller or Teflon presser foot. It will likely be limited to T70 bonded thread, with a #110 needle.

7 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

@BellaBee

It's beautiful, but is a bottom feed tailoring machine for cloth. Don't waste your time, or ruin the machine trying to sew leather over a couple of ounces thickness. To do that may require a roller or Teflon presser foot. It will likely be limited to T70 bonded thread, with a #110 needle.

Thanks Wizcrafts (not sure how you do the @thing :huh:)

Actually you’ve blessed me with that information!  That’s perfect for my intentions.  I’ll get me a Teflon foot for my bookbinding and soft purses maybe.

Meanwhile  I’ll continue to be fascinated with the beautiful leather work you all do here, but it’s also a very useful place to learn about these machines, even if mine is a feeble cousin. I hope it’s ok for me to hang around and do just that?  I need to clean and service this machine and make sure I’ve got the needle bar set right. And got an appropriate needle. Etc. I’m coming up from collecting vintage domestic Singers. 
Lots to learn :)  

Edited by BellaBee

7 hours ago, BellaBee said:

Thanks Wizcrafts (not sure how you do the @thing

@BellaBee

To do the @ thing, type @username - noting that the username is cAsE sEnsiTive and there is no space after the @. If you do this correctly the member's username will appear under the typing. Click/tap on that highlighted name and the typing will become a link. In my case the link becomes @Wizcrafts

7 hours ago, BellaBee said:

I’ll get me a Teflon foot for my bookbinding and soft purses maybe.

A Teflon foot will help feed leather and vinyl. But, all it takes is one or two accidental foot drops, under spring pressure, onto the feed dog teeth to put an end to its usefulness.

A better foot has a steel frame and steel rollers inside it. This foot feeds even better than Teflon.

The next upgrade would be an actual industrial sewing machine roller foot conversion kit. This consists of a flip up foot with either a 3/4 or 1 inch diameter (sorry about the inches!) roller on ball bearings, a single row feed dog that's inline with the roller, and a throat plate to match.

I must say that is in excellent condition!!! Great find that one BellaBee. You do not come across many machines in this condition these days!

On 3/10/2020 at 2:54 AM, Bert51 said:

Bert.

I haven't really gotten it figured out. The top thread gets tangled up the bobbin carrier, and doesn't catch the bobbin thread. I think I'm going to try finding a local mechanic to conne fix it sadly. I really wanted to figure it out myself lol

Hello all!!!!

I got a singer 16k33 from my grandma in law and I would really like to have a user manual. Can you please send It to me? How can I get It? 

thanks a lot!!!

elisa

On 3/13/2020 at 4:32 PM, Wizcrafts said:

A Teflon foot will help feed leather and vinyl. But, all it takes is one or two accidental foot drops, under spring pressure, onto the feed dog teeth to put an end to its usefulness.

A better foot has a steel frame and steel rollers inside it. This foot feeds even better than Teflon.

The next upgrade would be an actual industrial sewing machine roller foot conversion kit. This consists of a flip up foot with either a 3/4 or 1 inch diameter (sorry about the inches!) roller on ball bearings, a single row feed dog that's inline with the roller, and a throat plate to match.

Hi Wizcrafts.  Thank you for the information. Never thought about Teflon’s vulnerability.  You’re right!  
And a lot of time has gone by and I’ve only just got back here.  So sorry, very rude of me. It’s been a strange year and I’ve only just this week started cleaning my machine. It looks lovely but it’s actually very dirty.  I must just accept I’m taking it slow. 

I did not see anyone mention this here. You should do a search for an "Adjusters Manual" for your machine and you might get lucky.

regards,

Rob

I have a 16-188 setup with a 2 piece walking foot, this going to sound silly but here it goes.  I have had this machine for 30 years, she my old friend. But a dozen or so years ago I was in an accident and had a TBI, forgot things that I still don't remember. One of the things I forgot was all of my sewing machines. I started putting together a new craft room.  Anyway just a few weeks ago I decided to sit down with my 16-188. I threaded it and needle wouldn't catch the bobbin thread.  So I went back to basics,  and then it came to me, this machine is not tolerant of being misthreaded. Some of my other machines are much more forgiving.  As it turned out not only had I mis- threaded it,  I didn't have the thread holder in the correct position.  Years ago when I first got this machine, I taped a note on the machine table it says " I like straight lines". When I noticed that I rethreaded my machine and when I got to the needle it was not a straight line, I had the needle in sideways. It threads left to right.  But before I even began to figure this out my thought was it's out of time or I need to take it to the machine repair. Each machine has it's own quirks. I have an Embroidery machine and I'm not sure I'm up to the task of that one yet. Now I'm working on my Ruby treadle machine, it's another straight forward machine. My 16-188 is running like a dream now, and I am rediscovering my love of sewing.