Sign in to follow this  
Blacksmith

Buffalo, N.Y. noob.

Hello all. Interested in learning some leatherworking skills, primarily knife sheaths. Have been blacksmithing since 2001 as a hobby. It's been a year since I have been able to do any forging since the entire contents of my shop went into a storage unit last winter. Last Valentine's Day, that night, was walking along the side of the road near home, the road which connects with my street. I was hit by a car from behind, the driver fled the scene and left me lying on the shoulder of the road with a fractured skull. He was caught though. Two state troopers were there on scene as the paramedics worked on me on the roadside. They noticed him sitting there in his car a bit up the road so checked him out. Drunk. He failed all the field sobriety checks and went to the trooper's barracks in the back of their car where his B.A.C. registered 0.19. I went to the hospital in an ambulance. Spent a month in a coma and altogether five months in the hospital until July. Our hero had his sentencing in January. He went to jail for a year. I am still in physical therapy twice a week. I have improved quite a bit physically but have significant hearing impairment with tinnitus from auditory nerve damage due to the skull fracture, massive brain bleed and brain swelling. I'm lucky I'm not dead. Anyway, looking forward to putting a new shop together and getting going with my blacksmithing again. Have made a few knives over the years but looking to expand my bladesmithing and with that, learning some leathercraft to go along with it. Cheers, Dan.

That is one heck of an introduction. I'm glad they caught the loser but his sentence isn't enough. Sounds like you're at least on the road to recovery though so that's all that really matters. I think you'll find leather working to be very enjoyable and the folks here are very friendly and helpful. Some of us here (myself included) are knife enthusiasts, so it would be great to see photos of the knives you've made.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you will find leathercraft to be therapeutic and look forward to seeing your work soon. And I too think that a year's jail time isn't enough for a crime like this. I also live with poor hearing and bad tinnitus and have to wear hearing aids so I can understand a little bit of what you are going through on that front. Here's to wishing you a full recovery and enjoyment in your new hobby!

Hi Dan, I'm Dan too... I'm new here too .....

Sure was a stroke of bad luck, fortunately your recovering ....

I'm somewhat the opposite of you = I mess with leatherwork

and have been dwelling on doing some forge work ....

Perhaps all our dreams will come true .....