Seagrove59

Travel Cribbage

My wife and I are retiring and we love to travel and play cribbage, so rather than buy a plastic travel board, i did some research, found a WW2 board used by soldiers and modified it. Not 100% happy with the wet moulding for card holder but have only done it once before so will continue to work on that. I do like how it came out overall. I picked a leather with the scars, bite marks, etc, As I liked the travelled look it gave it. Used strap as a carrying holder for the pegs.

6884AC86-6912-492B-B45A-9F53B71F4F9A.jpeg

306E9C88-B5B2-46CF-B6C2-282D9FE92639.jpeg

What a cool project! Using that board will always bring a smile and sense of satisfaction that a plastic board never would.

36 minutes ago, Retswerb said:

What a cool project! Using that board will always bring a smile and sense of satisfaction that a plastic board never would.

Too true, hope to put many miles on it.

I like that a lot! Gotta love stuff that have a purpose. Can't even guess at how many times you get asked "That's great! Where did you buy it?"

Very cool!. How did you connect the pieces together ?

That's beautiful. I'd try my luck but probably end up with 19...

4 hours ago, kiwican said:

Very cool!. How did you connect the pieces together ?

It is climbing accessory cord like a braided polyester line, 1/4 between sections.

Here it is, runs entire length of middle section and 1” in the end pieces, sewn and glued.

9AB7291F-D731-4D73-876A-7A341D55CB0C.jpeg

1 hour ago, SaintJoy18 said:

I get what you did there!

Фдуч

On 3/8/2020 at 11:59 AM, Seagrove59 said:

My wife and I are retiring and we love to travel and play cribbage, so rather than buy a plastic travel board, i did some research, found a WW2 board used by soldiers and modified it. Not 100% happy with the wet moulding for card holder but have only done it once before so will continue to work on that. I do like how it came out overall. I picked a leather with the scars, bite marks, etc, As I liked the travelled look it gave it. Used strap as a carrying holder for the pegs.

Great item made by hand. My grandfather also likes to restore different finds. He tried to make them out of wood, they looked great, but then he sold them.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:53 AM, SaintJoy18 said:

:lol:

That card holder calls out for vacuum moulding. It sucks most of the surplus water out. Wooden boards are still quite common.

It will come in handy when you travel, as it's expensive to buy all the time. My grandfather also likes to restore various finds. He tried to make them out of wood, they looked great. Once he made a 7 slot strap like this, the item looked like a long tail. He gave it to me for my birthday, as I am a big fan of playing cribbage. I still have that strap as a memory of my grandfather. I love to travel and discover new and mysterious places. Recently I had to go from Berlin to England by train, it was superb. Such beautiful and untouched places I had never seen.