Hi Katrina form Australia,

I am looking for parts for my 45K55 or information on some problems I am having with the machine. I love this machine, but its jumping stitches, and then the cotton appears to be unbelievably twisted on the wrong side of the needle.  I am completely stumped as its only started doing this recently.  Any advice to fix "big Ben" would be appreciated.

Katrina

Hi Katarina, welcome to the forum. There's not a huge amount to go wrong on a 45K, and most of the timings are fixed with pins so I'm sure it won't be a difficult fix. If you could upload some videos of the problem it'll be easier to diagnose.

First check is always to completely unthread the machine and start again, following the manual exactly (including the 1½ turns around the tension wheel thing). Make sure you've got the bobbin in the right way round. If that doesn't fix it put in a fresh new needle, making sure it's a 214x2, the correct size for your thread, oriented correctly (long groove to the left and the scarf to the right) and fully seated up into the needle bar.

Then if /that/ doesn't work pull off the needle plate and check the timing of the shuttle hook to the needle, it should be passing through the centre of the needle scarf. If this is off you will need to adjust the height of the needle bar.

I have a similar machine, and I have found the thread has to go around the pulley tensioner (bottom tensioner)11/2 times to keep the tension on the thread.

Here is a picture of my tension setup.

Bert.

01 Looking Down (Medium).jpg

02 Tensioner (Medium).jpg

Hi Katrina, where in oz, could be a few on here from oz could be near you.

Wow I never knew that I had to go around the tensioner twice.... Oh that makes me so happy. I love this machine, and so worried it was unrepairable. I will take a film of it doing this and other parts of it.  Thank you so much for your help :)  I am on the Mornington Peninsula in Melbourne.

Edited by Katrina

Thank you so much again, not a huge amount that i could find out about this big machine.  Matt thanks, i will try that.  Bert, yours is immaculate, mine has had a rough life as the old saddler at Pakenham racetracks machine. Thank you for taking the time to upload the photos, they have been a great help.  :)

Did going around the pulley 1 1/2 times help with your tension problem?

Bert.

I didn't have time to try it today at the farm.  But I am very excited to have a go tomorrow.  I am so hoping that is why the machine skips stitches.

I will let you know of the outcome. :)