I have a process down now that results in veg tan from W&C with zero rub off after deglazing, drying, dying with 50% Angelus or Fiebings PRO dyes, drying 4 days, buffing to zero rub off, thin neatsfoot, dry 2 days, buffing with no rub off..... 

THEN MY PROBLEMS START. 

To top coat I have used Resolene, Angelus acrylic, atom wax with leather balm, mop n glo, and even neat lac.  All were applied either full or cut 50% (Angelus, Resolene, Mop) with water per advice. ALL pick up color on the sponge or dauber when applied. It drives me insane and I can't explain it.  How can leather they has been buffed total dry and residue free release dye when coated?

It takes 5+ coats of 50% Resolene to kill it.

I tried aerosol saddle lac and it prevented rub off but the finish cracks without much flexing even thought applied very lightly.

I am making belts and don't won't them to rub off on people. The finish needs to be flexible and long lasting.  I hear people say they just use wax or Aussie but they lift the dyes too.

What do the pros do?

Thought Wickett was supposed to be one of the better ones...on par with HO.  I was having the same issues with Tandy leather which i thought WC would be a big step up. I can't figure out why the dyes lift after drying with zero rub off.

Try cleaning with saddle soap after waiting those days to dry and before your diluted Resolene.  When dry, buff.

It's possible to have small amounts of dye on the surface or just below the surface that are then rehydrated with the wet Resolene.  Upon wiping, some rehydrated bits may lift off but others will stick to the drying topcoat.  The next layer of Resolene may slightly dissolve the previous coat, loosening and rehydrating again.   By cleaning with soap, you may loosen some of those bits and wash them away.  That's my hypothesis, anyway.

It is an uphill battle to be able to provide an attractive and also completely waterproof belt that is also durable, for a reasonable price.  If I step into a puddle wearing white socks under dark boots or expensive dress shoes, I may have colored socks.  Customers may need to learn to have realistic expectations for work made by artisans, as compared to mass manufactured items with layers of synthetic stuff.

One of the compromises that is often done is the attractieness of the finish (think: painted automotive leather), as opposed to dyes that really let you see the grain.

Edited by johnv474

Also, although I love the Angelus dye colors, there is a lot of pigment in there, so it does tend to result in rub off.  Tan Kote, Tan Kote, then resolene or Angelus Acrylic Finisher (all 50/50 with water) really helps to reduce the lift.

When you tire of that, try some Fiebing's Pro dye, I tend to have a lot less issue with rub off/lift off.

YinTx