Player17

top tension too tight but still not seating correctly and backstitch ugly

New to sewing machines and am using a techsew 2750.  Having a bear of a time dialing it in.  Anyhow as you can see in the photos the stitch looks nice on top ( red ) but the bottom (white) looks like the top tension is not tight enough but it is so tight it is hard to pull the material out of the machine.  I have adjusted the bobbin tension like as seen in YouTube videos so I don't think that is to blame.  I threaded it following the Techsew video ( that slightly differs from the manual ).  I am currently using a diamond point needle size #19 and MBT thread size #5.  The other issue you can see is the backstitch look like crap and isn't going back into the same holes.  When I backstitch, I come to a stop, engage the backstitch lever and run the foot pedal.  I don't keep the machine running and slam down the lever like someone who has been doing this for years.  

Thanks in advance for your time.

IMG_9307.jpeg

IMG_9306.jpeg

I had to google what an MBT thread #5 is :blink: - seems it is about 138 thread

https://districtleathersupply.com/products/vinymo-mbt-size-5-0-6mm-polyester-thread-full-spool

So for 138 thread you should use a needle size #22 or maybe #23 if the thread is thicker than 138 (see link)

Edited by Constabulary

On 3/8/2020 at 7:17 PM, Player17 said:

New to sewing machines and am using a techsew 2750.  Having a bear of a time dialing it in.  Anyhow as you can see in the photos the stitch looks nice on top ( red ) but the bottom (white) looks like the top tension is not tight enough but it is so tight it is hard to pull the material out of the machine.  I have adjusted the bobbin tension like as seen in YouTube videos so I don't think that is to blame.  I threaded it following the Techsew video ( that slightly differs from the manual ).  I am currently using a diamond point needle size #19 and MBT thread size #5.  The other issue you can see is the backstitch look like crap and isn't going back into the same holes.  When I backstitch, I come to a stop, engage the backstitch lever and run the foot pedal.  I don't keep the machine running and slam down the lever like someone who has been doing this for years.  

Thanks in advance for your time.

IMG_9307.jpeg

IMG_9306.jpeg

Thread tension has nothing to do with how "hard it is to remove the material from the machine" Leather requires lots of tension. you stitch will tell you when you have enough tension. I could not believe how much tension is on a #25 needle and #277 thread but that's of no consequence. tighten up your top tension and be done. Now to remove your material and not fight the machine. Stop the machine just as the needle is headed back down. and the take up arm is up. Use your finger and pull the thread out at the take up arm with the presser foot up releasing tension on the thread. pull out a few inches. this will allow you to remove your work without bending or breaking the needle. 

As to your back stitch you need to engage the reverse when the needle has just started to come back up out of your work. This is the start of the stitch and reversing anytime before that could put the feed dogs in a position that would not allow the needle to track in the same holes. Also that just looks like poor material control. You have to guide the machine to stitch in the same holes. if the material is not fed straight forward and back well it will look like a drunk painted the lines in the road

As @Constabulary said I think the needle size is to small for that thread. You may even need to loosen the top thread tension with a size 22 up needle.

Thank you for the replies and sorry about my delay. Busy with work. I have some larger needles on order and will try as soon as I get them. 

I will work on the back stitch thing as well. 

thanks again