zelix

Leather dye bleeding / Lining Question

I'm new to leather work. I've got a year or so under my belt. I'm coming along okay but still have a lot of things to learn. I made a leather briefcase a while back. I used oil tanned leather. I didn't line it with anything. Anytime I use it the dye on it contaminates my paperwork.

The briefcase works well for me and I'd like to be able to have a solution so I could use it. Hindsight I should have lined it with some pigskin or thin leather that wont bleed. It would be a nightmare to try and do that now.

What would anyone suggest for this?

another question. I've still have some of this leather. What glue should I use to line this with thin leather?

Thanks in advance.

Z

cmGcsmq.jpg

When you say "contaminates" I assume that you mean the dye is rubbing off on your papers.

My 1st thought would be to seal it, . . . the inside portion that is, . . .  and the product I would recommend would be Resolene.

NOW, . . . I do not work much with oil tanned leather, . . . so what I would suggest is you get some scraps from when you made the briefcase, . . . rub them against your papers to make sure they are doing the same thing, . . . and if they are, . . . coat the inside of them with a light coat of 50/50 Resolene and water. 

Use a small piece of a sponge, . . . and you will have to dampen it pretty good, . . . put a light coat of the Resolene/water mixture on it, . . . allow it to dry for about 4 hours, . . . then try to see if the dye will then come off on your paper. 

If I were a gambler, . . . I would bet this will cure your problem 100%, . . . by one or two light coats of Resolene on the inside of your briefcase.

May God bless,

Dwight

3 hours ago, Dwight said:

When you say "contaminates" I assume that you mean the dye is rubbing off on your papers.

My 1st thought would be to seal it, . . . the inside portion that is, . . .  and the product I would recommend would be Resolene.

NOW, . . . I do not work much with oil tanned leather, . . . so what I would suggest is you get some scraps from when you made the briefcase, . . . rub them against your papers to make sure they are doing the same thing, . . . and if they are, . . . coat the inside of them with a light coat of 50/50 Resolene and water. 

Use a small piece of a sponge, . . . and you will have to dampen it pretty good, . . . put a light coat of the Resolene/water mixture on it, . . . allow it to dry for about 4 hours, . . . then try to see if the dye will then come off on your paper. 

If I were a gambler, . . . I would bet this will cure your problem 100%, . . . by one or two light coats of Resolene on the inside of your briefcase.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hey thanks for the reply. I will give it a try.