MT Flyrod

Adhesive Recommendation

I am looking to bind two pieces of 10 oz. Veg together and then suede on both sides of the veg.  I'm currently using EcoWeld and was wondering if there were any other options that I should consider.  Any and all recommendations are greatly welcomed.

Thank you!

-Dan 

I like contact adhesives and have had good success with the Weldwood Contact Cement in red cans.

Cement, Contact, 1 Qt

Edited by Tugadude

What Tug said...Red Can Weldwood is a trusted material (for me), going back to my woodworking/cabinet & countertop building days...I don't fix things that ain't broke. Put it on both surfaces, let 'er dry really good to "just tacky" and get it where you want it THE FIRST TIME...I follow up with a roller, etc.  Just be sure to use it in a well-ventilated area so's to keep all yer synapses firing in proper order...thus the appeal (to some) for the non-stink-um options.

I use Barge All Purpose Original or Petronio's Master All-Purpose Cement. 

I use Barge, but Masters is also very good!

We use 'Emu SAR 36' super strength all purpose cement at the shoe shop I do work for. The master cobbler/owner with over 50 years of experience said it is the best glue he has ever used. It's especially useful with the quality of materials they use to make shoes today. We have people bringing in relatively new shoes with the soles separating from the rest of the shoe.

Another vote for Weldwood, . . .

Put many a piece of suede onto veg tan, . . . works great.  

If you are gluing to the hair side, . . . scuff it up with a wire brush first, . . . sticks better.

May God bless,

Dwight

@Constabulary I switched to the Aqulim 315 and have had no issues on holsters or belts.  The hold is just as good as the Weldwood I was using plus this I can do in the house without disturbing my wife or blowing the house up.  Plus I figure at my age I can't afford to lose to many more brain cells to things like glue odor.

Todd

@Constabulary, @Hildebrand....I keep hearing/reading about the 315...I've seen this video before as well. M'ladies have run me out of the house and into the shop out back...ventilation in there is pretty good so Weldwood has continued to work as great as it always did...but...I can still learn new tricks. I might order a small bit to try soon for myself. Appreciate the recommendation!

I have used Weldwood, Masters and Barge.  They all worked well.  Success is in the surface prep and the application.  Its better to use two thin layers of contact cement than one thick.

Another vote for Aquilium 315. Same reasons as the others, no fumes, and you don't have to worry about the wife or blowing up the house. Seems to hold as well as Weldwood.

I am another convert to the Renia Aquilium 315. I tried it about 1 1/2 years ago for the first time and now I wouldn't consider anything else. I do a lot of wet forming and that was my major concern when I started, would a water based adhesive hold up. It does and I haven't had any issues.

A couple of real pluses about using it are no more gripes from the wife about the smell of other contact cements and a very little bit of the product goes a long way. 

I've used Fastbond 30NF by 3M. Another water based adhesive, but with a long work time (up to 4 hours).
I find it very useful, especially when glueing large areas or multiple items together.