bryan4christ

can anyone tell me how to end a stitch ???

I'm trying to end or close a stitch.....basically to seal the work but I'm not sure how to on a machine.....any thoughts

God Bless and Thanks For Your Time

Hi Bryan --

to direct people to help you out, you should, up in the title of your post, include what machine you are using.
Otherwise, you'll confuse hand stitchers, like me!

it's called back stitching. I do it even if I've sewed in a circle and back over the top of the start. 

You reverse the stitch by three to five stitches this will lock and finish the stitch. 

Edited by Kcstott

I hand stitch leather, but I machine sew fabric, mainly for altering & repairing tents & rucsacs, and the same sort of technique is used for both, ie backstitch

When you come to the end of the usual forward stitching, stop, and press/engage the reverse sewing feature of your machine, and sew back a few stitches, say 4 or 5. It can be a bit tricky to hold down a reverse button and also sew with the motor, so an easier method is to hold down the reverse button and turn the machine with the hand wheel for those 4 or 5 stitches; this will give you more control

If you don't have a reverse feature you could leave the needle in the workpiece, lift the presser foot, rotate the workpiece through 180 degrees, and then sew again. Or remove the piece and do the backstitching by hand

I expect you will be using synthetic thread. As well as backstitching you could melt the ends of the thread, this is shown in many YouTube videos on leatherwork

10 hours ago, bryan4christ said:

I'm trying to end or close a stitch.....basically to seal the work but I'm not sure how to on a machine.....any thoughts

Hi Bryan, On your 29k machine you have the option just to turn the foot 180º and stitch back again, Like zuludog said, with the needle down in the work, that way you do not have to turn all of the work around. But you need to loosen the front screw locking the foots position.

EXCELLENT ADVISE !  I WILL APPLY IT !