PhilC

Dyeing straight through 1.5 mm veg tan

I want to try making a card holder with alternating colors stacked on the edge, like Niwa 

He uses leather that is already struck through completely so that he can cut/sand/burnish the edges.  Does anyone have any experience or know methods of dyeing thinner veg tanned leather, maybe 1 mm, all the way through on a small scale? I cant really afford to be practicing with expensive Pueblo or the likes quite yet...  I was thinking maybe if the leather was wet, my Pro Dyes might penetrate further, and maybe it might go all the way if i dye from both sides. Or possibly dyes in an alcohol carrier like Pro dyes might not be the right kind for something like this...i have no idea.  Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I think it takes a lot of dye and a lot of time to dye all the way through.  Maybe dowsing the leather in Dye Prep and then dip dyeing?

I would skip that and just dye the edge and faces that matter.  There is no inherent benefit in dyeing through.

If I wanted to imitate that edge, I would skive or pare the edge to the needed thickness.  If a bell skiver is not available, very careful sanding with a sponge or sanding block can even the edge.

Then I would take a rolling pin, perhaps marble, and wrap a rubber band around it in a few spots.  Then, dampen leather with water, spit, or glycerin bar of saddle soap (not the kind in the tin), and use rolling pin to compress the leather.  Slick/burnish edge with crease in your finger or flat edge of bone folder.  Especially be sure there are no fuzzies at the very edge.  Burn em if ya gotta.  After that, dye the edge if needed, then glycerin soap or your favorite burnshing and finishing technique.  Don't be surprised if it takes several layers of Tokonole and or shoe polish and then a sealer.