I just noticed a new antique gel from Feibings on the Springfield Leather website.  Its the first I've heard of it and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with it?

I got a bottle yesterday, and I like it. Iv'e not been a fan of Feibing's antique in the past, but this vintage stuff seems good. Comparable to Eco-flo gel.

Thanks @eeroyale, that was the impression I got about it.  I use Eco Flo now and I know how to get good results with it, but I would be interested in giving this new product a try.  I think I'll need to order a bottle of it to try out.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:28 PM, eeroyale said:

I got a bottle yesterday, and I like it. Iv'e not been a fan of Feibing's antique in the past, but this vintage stuff seems good. Comparable to Eco-flo gel.

Does it stay on pretty well? Is it a top layer stain, or does it penetrate a bit more like a dye. I used to use eco flow what was concerned about the stain coming off on peoples clothes from sweat or moisture or something. 

On 3/20/2020 at 12:15 PM, jrny4wrd said:

Does it stay on pretty well? Is it a top layer stain, or does it penetrate a bit more like a dye. I used to use eco flow what was concerned about the stain coming off on peoples clothes from sweat or moisture or something. 

It's a top layer stain, like Eco-Flo antique gel. I bought it because it was the only prime shipping option on Amazon, but now that I've used it, I like it better than Eco-Flo. As far as coming off on peoples clothes etc. I haven't had that problem, but it may have happened. I top coat with Resolene, so maybe that helps. I mainly make instrument straps, bags Molded pouches and have never had any problem with rub-off.

I like it..

20200321_103229.jpg

20200321_103153.jpg

Edited by Frodo

On 3/24/2020 at 5:45 AM, eeroyale said:

It's a top layer stain, like Eco-Flo antique gel. I bought it because it was the only prime shipping option on Amazon, but now that I've used it, I like it better than Eco-Flo. As far as coming off on peoples clothes etc. I haven't had that problem, but it may have happened. I top coat with Resolene, so maybe that helps. I mainly make instrument straps, bags Molded pouches and have never had any problem with rub-off.

Since it’s water soluble, are you applying the gel after you wet-mold, or have you wet-molded after working it in and giving it a Resolene too coat?  I tool leather holsters and would like to antique before I wet mold but so far haven’t had the best luck.  I hate applying after molding.

Thanks.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:19 PM, yober said:

Since it’s water soluble, are you applying the gel after you wet-mold, or have you wet-molded after working it in and giving it a Resolene too coat?  I tool leather holsters and would like to antique before I wet mold but so far haven’t had the best luck.  I hate applying after molding.

Thanks.

I've never dyed before wet molding

I saw Fiebings post a pic of it on Facebook a month or so back. They didn’t say anything just posted a picture.

Hi all,

I finally got some bottles of this (Saddle Tan and Medium Brown) to try.  So far I've only tried it on a few stamped pieces as a test but it seems to work really well and it produces a nice rich color in the leather like I've been getting with Tandy Eco Flo products.  It's thinner that the Eco Flo product so it was a little easier to work into crevices, but otherwise it seems to work just like Eco Flo.  I need to try a little more testing with it, like trying it on a floral design, but so far I'm giving it a thumbs up.

Springfield Leather sent me two  4oz bottles by mistake. I had ordered saddle tan and medium brown in the reg antique stain, 32oz bottles. I called them and they corrected it right away . They said to keep the vintage gel. I'm glad they sent it, I like it better than the reg antique stain. It is easier to use and it does'nt take as much for the same coverage.