spurdude101

How do you compete with this?

How can we compete when you can go on Ebay and buy a Wickett & Craig belt, double stitched, edged. with a buckle, 13 oz. made in America for $39.00?

I can't buy the parts for that let alone the labor.

Edited by spurdude101

1 hour ago, spurdude101 said:

That's why most of us are hobbyists not businesses. Stiff competition out there.

If it's the ones I found on ebay, probably not as nice as made to appear, probably cut from low in the hide, with a cheap Chinese buckle, made by Amish kids.

Compete on style and quality, not price.  There's always someone who can and will make something cheaper.

@spurdude101 I have a very simple saying, ' the only person I compete with is myself' .  I never have and never will try to compete with anyone else .  I'm forever learning, and  I do my best to do a better job than my last one  , even if I do make the odd mistake along the way  in trying  :thumbsup:  

HS

Edited by Handstitched

First thing, . . . I only make two layer belts, . . . those are all single layer.  My belts are a much better quality, . . . and if the one I'm wearing right now is any indication, . . . my belt just may last me a lifetime, . . . theirs will not.

Second, . . . they have their own leather suppliers, . . . buy in big bulk, . . . and as previously mentioned, . . . child labor laws are never enforced on them.

You are competing against the American version of China in that line of belts.

And when they tell you they adequate for CCW, . . . they are hoping what they said is the truth, . . . as they do not CCW, . . . therefore are taking someone else's word or ...............

May God bless,

Dwight

That's where the words "Hand Crafted" come in...

I don't know about you, but I'm generally willing to pay more for hand crafted goods than factory junk, even if it is double stitched.  

that's why my favorite Leatherman tool is in a handmade sheath that cost more than the tool and the factory sheath it came with.

Edited by TonyV

On 3/10/2020 at 5:56 PM, spurdude101 said:

How can we compete when you can go on Ebay and buy a Wickett & Craig belt, double stitched, edged. with a buckle, 13 oz. made in America for $39.00?

I sell my products on eBay, Amazon, Etsy, and two of my own websites. There are out of country sellers selling the same type of product I sell for as little as $4 with free shipping. I never tried to compete. I make mine better, explain why it is better. have really good photos and exceptional customer service and I charge $39.99 and sell them all day long.

Bottom line, don't compete. Be better and name your price.