Ole South

Singer 29-4 and Adler 30-1 & Kunpeng Feed Motion Rebuild

(Full disclosure: I know parts for both models' are pretty much discontinued for the most part but this was a foray into what may or may not work )

I just completed partial rebuild of each model, 29-4 circa 1915 and Adler 30-1 circa "who knows"(black paint/cast iron stand, no decals) feed motion area and thought I'd pass on what I found.  Stitch length was far from optimal but little or no play in either of the machines' Driving Lever(s) so I felt driver cam was within functional specs.  I noticed Kunpeng Sewing(CKPSMS) sells both a Feed Motion Ring (simanco 82053) and Bell Crank Lever (82167) on E-bay.  Prices were reasonable so I bought 2 Feed Motion Rings and Bell Crank Levers to see if they would work. 

Feed Motion Ring

The Feed Motion Rings came without cam follower rollers (they now sell them as a set) so I contacted CKPSMS outlining the issue but got no response.  A couple of months later I see the roller and stud assembly (ckpsms #1816) listed at a disposable price so I purchased two.  These rollers are clearly marked as being 10mm dia O.D., the description and pictures of the assembly are completely accurate.  Being lazy, (I prefer to think of this as "Time Efficiency" but....) I mic'd the roller (rather than the Feed Motion Cam Wheel race the roller rides in) from a well-worn 29K-60 sixty-something year old original Feed Motion Ring I'd previously replaced at 9.79mm O.D. thinking 2.0+mm wear was expectable.

It's not... at least not for the 29-4 or 30-1.  Both races mic out at 9.79-9.80mm. If anyone has a 29K Feed Motion Cam Wheel (p/n 82149) in good shape I'd appreciate the actual race width measurement at the narrowest part for comparison.  I'm guessing the original Simanco roller was probably 25/64" O.D. (ish… mebbe??).  The problem doesn't end there; the replacement roller stud has a cir-clip retaining ring and receiver machined into it extending the roller shaft by about 1.5mm. This doesn't allow the assembled FMR to seat into head casting. The Simanco FMR's I've seen have either a free floating roller or the stud is peened almost flush to capture the roller.  Easy enough to remedy with a grinder once a properly sized roller is procured but the mounting nut on the other side may also have to be ground flush.  I had a FMR from another vendor (Pilgrim or Shoe System Plus probably) that I ended up using in the 29-4.  The Adler retained its original FMR. (a new Bell Crank Lever removed all apparent slop)

Bell Crank Lever

The BCL worked in the 29-4 but bound the needle bar in the Adler as it returned.  A lot of creative grinding/polishing later and a couple screw fabrications* and the Adler too had longer stitch lengths.  Basic mod was to remove the gore (sloping metal casting) transitioning from the lever bar to the ring making it a clean right (90 deg) angle and thinning the outer wall of the lever's needle bar guide ring to allow full angular motion.

Net-net... I now have 2 new Feed Motion Ring and roller assy's (un-usable) languishing in my spare parts bin and a spare Bell Crank Lever should I ever need them :wacko: 

*in my case the pivot screws from the worn Adler BCL were a different thread than the Kunpeng which appear to be 6-40 ncf.

Ole South, 

Have you got any pics we can see of the parts??  I certainly want to see them!!

Edited by shoepatcher

Feed motion ring:

Left to right … 29K-60 original, Kungpeng FMR assembled, Roller assembly kit(?), Bare FMR as shipped. Note the difference in length of the two Kungpeng castings.

_FMR-1 web.jpg

More to come

Edited by Ole South
Added text

Hmmm... only allowed ONE upload?  That pix is only 27.5kb??!!??