Rikster

Pfaff 145 serial number location

I picked up a well used Pfaff 145 H3 LMNP (ilegible 6/1C or 671C or 6/10?) with clutch motor.  While it needs some attention it seems to work ok when practicing/playing on a leather work glove.  That is saying a lot (or perhaps very little?) for a complete newbie to ALL things sewing.  The serial number appears to be 7574944 which I think makes in born 1962? (young compared to me)  The paint appears original but is a greenish hue - not the gold referenced in this blog.  Once I play a little (gotta get a bobbin winder or learn how2 do that) I'd like to attempt to clean, adjust, and restore the machine and table.  My initial ignorant questions are:

• Does that serial number mach 1962?
  • What does the illegible "6/1C" (or 671C or 6/10) likely infer?
  • Is there a matching hammered green-ish paint that you folks like to use in restorations?
  • Where does one obtain a 6 volt Edison based light bulb (light plugs into clutch motor) ?

152131595_pfaff145.thumb.jpg.5e43642506b7c65ccaf40d22d5ea6556.jpg

Thanx2All,

/Rick

It's a CLPMN I believe.  Pfaff codes for the type and duty of machine.

Matching paint would be Rust-Oleum Hammered Oatmeal.  

The Pfaff 145 is a pretty good machine.  I really like the type of 145 / 545 with the external spring bar on top.  It's very easy to adjust the foot pressure with the double knurled nuts.  

Edited by Pintodeluxe

repainting a pfaff - in my book, that is a bad idea.  or, at least, if were going to buy one, i'd be wary of one that has been repainted.  with the original paint, the story of the machine is told through the paint.  for instance, the machine you show in the photo has low miles.  very low miles.  if it were painted, that fact would be obscured.  a repainted machine - i would assume the worst.  

Leatherdog makes sense, that machine is really in very good condition, paint-wise. I wouldn't be repainting it if it was me. Not sure how easy it is to find one of those globes, most these days fit an LED light fitting of some sort.

Oh, and that cone of thread is upside down, I wouldn't recommend using it like that as if you get any loose loops of thread they could get caught around the bottom of it.

Cone orientation was making me wince too..

Thanx for the input folks.  The notion of restoring was for myself to show respect for the machine, not for resale.  Perhaps I'll just restore the table as a compromise.  I was trying to keep the 6 volt light original also out of respect.  LED upgrade would be easy but would be a separate plug or junction box, further modifying it.  I was playing with the cone in both directions trying to understand what the white disc under it was for.  Right side up, the much wider cone doesn't contact the disc so it seemed like the thread cone would just drag on the metal and wear the paint.  Perhaps there are different size spacers.  

Any ideas  regarding what the illegible "6/1C" (or 671C or 6/10) likely infer?  

Are most industrial bobbin winders about the same or is there a preferred flavor for this machine.  Does a 2.5" or 3" wheel really matter?  Should one use a rubber ring on the wheel? (I've seen pics of both)

467267749_pfaffmodelplate.thumb.jpg.015967ddbb1a28b701ec2c9fa2c2b418.jpg

Those cones of thread are not meant to be used like that, i.e.mounted on the machine. You will probably end up with severe twisting of the thread and jamming at some point. There is a reason that machines have those holders with the tall guide. If you want to keep it as original as possible (including the light) that's up to you but most of us that use them ditch the clutch motor for a servo and go with LED lights because it makes the machine more enjoyable to use.

1+   You're missing the thread stand.  The cone shouldn't ever spin.  The thread needs to come off the top.  

Also, don't go around the pin on the tension assembly.  Check online manuals for proper thread path.

Good luck with it.  

Edited by Pintodeluxe

I hadn't paid any attention to the thread path until Pinto mentioned it. Can you post a closer photo of the tension assembly, I think it may be threaded wrong.

Thank you - the cone thread response makes sense.  I figured I'd wait on buying a replacement thread holder stand until I knew more about my needs.  Sorry for being such a noob.  I will probably end up doing as mentioned and just making this the most useable to me, including servo motor - but thought I should experience as original to better appreciate any mods.  I did read threading instructions and the direction of threading through the 1st tall post wasn't clear (which is why I was playing).  There are 4 holes in this post - unsure if all 4 are to be used.  I think beyond that post the threading appears to match the manual to my untrained eye.

pfaff 145 threading.png

Don't apologise, we all have to start somewhere,:) and the subject of industrial sewing machines can be quite complex (initially, at least). I'd still like to see a closeup of your threading around the tension assembly.

The number of holes used on the post and the bar next to the tension unit can vary, depending on how much extra "pre"-tension might be needed. It's often a trial and error thing to suit the materials being sewn, but normally you would only use two holes on the post and one or two on the bar.

Look at item # 4 in the diagram above.  See how the thread is supposed to continue horizontally from the tension discs to the check spring assembly? 

Your original photo doesn't do that.  Yours incorrectly goes up and around the pin.  

I know many old pro's that thread their machine that way, but it's not standard.  

And it doesn't look like it goes over #3? I can't be sure from the first photo.

I will review it and get some close ups when I can get back out there.  This thing is so heavy I haven't been able to bring it in from the garage and up the stairs. I bought this from a business that sewed leather in their trade - they had multiple different machines and were downsizing.  I was/am afraid to rethread it because I figured they knew what they were doing and I know that I don't.  I wanted to play a bit before I screwed it up rethreading.  I ordered a bobbin winder and bobbins, and when I attach it and can play for an hour I will attempt to rethread.   Worst case is I bug you kind folks to walk me through threading it correctly.  Thank you for the guidance.  I look forward to being able to do the same.

Don't be afraid to ask, you'll get the right advice here. Threading isn't difficult but some of the youtube videos aren't right so if you're not sure ask here.