Subterra

Multiple copies of an original tooling

I haven't seen anything on this site of someone doing this...

This is a proven method I have been doing since the 1990s and have created well over 50 plates. The material I use is extremely tough and I have pressed out literally 1000s of biker patches from my plates. Some are as big as 10" x 11" in size. These were not simple to make when I started making them with lots of trial and error, many pitfalls, and ruining some of my original toolings along the way. The process is too lengthy to put in here, but well worth the effort if you have a tooling you want to duplicate. The photos show the plate, the pressing, and the staining process. In my previous submission with the sculptures, the green leaves on the roses are pressed out from a plate made from an original tooling. The dragonfly is also pressed out from a plate. Enjoy!

Dan Sines, Leather Artist

PlatePressing.jpg

LeavesBrushed.jpgLeavesDipped.jpg

Edited by Subterra
moved photos in right order

Looks pretty interesting, I’d be pretty interested to see more of what the method you use is, and probably most of this forum too. 

RockyAussie already mentioned( in passing, a while back , in an unrelated thread )  this widespread ( for about 50 years ) method of embossing leather...No "magic method"/ "nothing new" here ..

Search Milliput..the best for working in high detail ..like taking molds from tooled leather work..or stamping into / embossing cased leather..Or ..if you can't get Milliput..( made in Wales ) various "charged" epoxy puttys ( like JBWeld etc ) will also work , just not so quite well..their definition is not so good when used this way, nor do they last as long.

Edited by mikesc

Nice!   Thanks for posting.   I'd love to see how you make your embossing plates.   There are several ways I can think of to go about those, but it looks like you've worked out a good way.  Even if the technique is not new, it is nice to be reminded now and then of something we may have forgotten!

- Bill  

Dan, I'd appreciate any extra detail you are willing to share about that technique.

-Dave