robinsone

Singer 153w103 Pulley Removal

Singer 153w103, can anyone help me with removing the stitch length dial or knob here. I can't seem to get it out no matter what I do and I'm concerned about damaging it. I've removed all the screws from the access plate adjacent to it.
Thanks in advance!

IMG-7626 (Medium).JPG

Try turning it counterclockwise. There are grooves on the shaft and a stud on the inside of the knob that rides between the grooves in the shaft. it is common for the grooves to chip or break over the decades since these machines were built. This makes it hard to not only remove the shaft, but to adjust the stitch length by rotating it. If the grooves are damaged, try using a combination of turning and pulling on the knob.

I take from your mention of removing all the screws that you also removed the heavy duty spring under the cap screw inside the head, under the access plate and loosened the set screws on the opposite side of it.

BTW: If the grooves are broken, there are no new replacements. You'll have to find another similar machine that has a good shaft to replace the bad one. Since this is also the main shaft, there are a lot of parts that will need to be removed and replaced. Alternately, just preset the stitch length in one position and leave it there.

I made a video about this topic sometime ago, perhaps it will help: