hi all,

The threads I've read so far are super informative and interesting, but I haven't yet found an answer to my question.

I've had a Singer 31-15 for several years and sew on it constantly (not leather really, just fabric), and love the stitch quality and how perfect it looks.  I would like to do more straight line quilting on it, and think a walking foot might help with feeding the fabric through a little more perfectly, but have only found this resource for an adapted even feed foot for it:

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachineshop/walkingfootmod/walkingfootmod.html

Unfortunately I read that this person has since passed away, but my husband helped make the adaptation to a singer even feed foot for me.  I'm scared to try it because I don't want to throw off the timing or anything on my machine, and the reason I'm nervous is because in the article and photo it shows a "professional" even feed foot and I just bought the singer even feed foot I found at Joanns.

Does anyone know if the professional one might be specifically made for industrial type machines?  I tried searching for Professional even feed feet and couldn't find any that said that on them...

thanks for any advice!

Ellene

Hi, I don`t think there is any walking foot adapters for the old singers out there, Back then you either bought one with or without a walking foot. The one you are talking about is probably just for the domestic type, hence the filing away the metal in the post you put there. You would have to adapt it like the guy in the post. seems like it is that small arm that gives the lift to the foot i suppose that needs adjusting. I doubt you will throw the timing out if you are careful. I don´t know the difference between the professional and the other?? you will find out when you open it. I would just open it and see whats going on inside and then install it and go slow by hand to see if it needs filing etc.. HTH

hi - thanks for the reply!  I was able to find a singer walking foot that said 'professional' on it at SingerOnline.com, and those are specifically meant for industrials.  My husband did the dremmel modification, and then we needed a longer screw that holds the needle in (sorry, not sure what it's called...).  It took a little time to find the right machine screw that had the right threading on it, but without the longer screw the little fork on the walking foot wouldn't allow the needle screw to be screwed in all the way.

So now it's working.  Not as quiet and smooth as some walking foot machines I've seen, but I used it for a few hours and no problems yet.  

walking foot singer 31-15 indigo - 1.jpg

I have seen these before, my daughter has one for her plastic Brother machine and she was lead to believe she could sew anything with it, but her plastic machine has to much movement to sew anything heavy.

I think they where made for domestic sewing machine and not industrial machine like your 31K15, that is why your hubby had to modify it.

If you was a walking style foot Singer 31, then there is a Singer 31K19 or 47 that has a walking or alternating pressers and they work as designed.

Bert.

thanks Bert - actually the "professional" Singer walking feet are made for industrials.  It had to be modified because the 31-15 has a longer stroke.  The domestic singer walking feet are different.

I'm glad we figured it out tho!

On 3/25/2020 at 11:00 AM, Bert51 said:

I have seen these before, my daughter has one for her plastic Brother machine

That was probably one of the funniest things i heard in a while

When I got it all working as it should, the Plastic fantastic was helping by twisting with the pressure from the feet.

And, but dad it does zigzag did nothing for me.

But she was happy, so all's good, she got her sewing do and I got to spoil her kids while I was there.

That's fair ain't it?

Bert.

The stitches look very nice on your quilt.

Nah, not a quilt, she was making something for the kids, other wise I would have passed on it.

Even with Professional written on it, it did not sew half as good as the 31K47 would have on the same material................

Bert.