Douglas62

Does anyone know what type/brand feed dog mechanism my Cowboy-335 has?

Hello, I’m a longtime reader and member and now a first time poster. I’m nervous that I’ll do something wrong. I mean no disrespect, so let me know if I do.

I have tried, but I still can’t figure out how to make adjustments to/raise my Cowboy-335’s lower feed dogs. I bought my Cowboy four years ago at the spot in Toledo and yes, I have recently tried to call them and I know they even have a history of posting here but I haven’t talked to them and it’s a 2 hour drive to go there.

2 weeks ago I had my first problem with my Cowboy. Maybe I was sewing through too much leather. Between then and today I have learned a lot about my machine! Maybe I turned something simple into something complicated.That’s o.k., though, because I need to know how to be my own mechanical engineer if I want a smooth machine or 2. I have googled. I have perused this website. I have printed and read through a lot, including the Navy Airmen chapters, and more. Today I went to YouTube and saved some videos. Before I start looking through them, I decided to reach out here.

If anybody is familiar with my machine and/or if anybody could link me to specifically useful online print or video sources it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Cowboy.jpg

Hi Doug, I am not too sure but i think your machine is the same as the Pfaff 335? and as far as i know and can see, i am not able to move the feed dog up or down?? it goes forwards and backwards only not up and down. Is your machine different then?

I just went and got my notes from last night and Pfaff 335 was the only one I wrote down when I started looking on YouTube. I'll start with those videos and report back. Thanks!

Douglas, it might help if you can describe exactly what the problem is that you're having? What makes you think that something is wrong?

I can not be sure what type you have. As far as I know they only sell ones like in this link below which are a binder type configuration which has no adjustment to go lower or higher that I know about. AS they don't show any thing about them on the Toledo site I would just give them a call. In the top right hand picture in the link you can see the flat tab sticking through which means back and forward movement only. The other picture here shows more closely the tab I am referring to.

https://www.cowboysew.com/335-leather-sewing-machine-for-binding.htm

cDSC04656_resize2.jpg

There is another side of that particular coin....many of the aftermarket presser feet are made to "about here" tolerances and occasionally require adjustment of the foot height to function correctly.  The center (smaller) presser foot should trap the material you are sewing against the feed dog and move rearward in UNISON with the needle and feed dog. While this is not quite as positive as a 4-motion or elliptical feed dog motion, its not all that bad when adjusted correctly. Adjusting a two-motion feed dog is sort of not designed into the mechanism in many machines....the design assumes a certain protrusion through a certain thickness of the needle plate, but it has to NOT interfere with the material which the outer foot traps and holds when the center foot lifts and resets the presser foot to the forward position for a new stitch. If you remove the needle and cycle the machine by hand with a sample of the material you are having problems with under the foot, see if the foot has the material firmly trapped against the feed dog, to the point it is difficult to move or slip from under the foot. If you run it thru the whole cycle and the center foot allows slippage or does NOT feed it in time with the feed dogs, you probably need the check the adjustment of your presser feet. I'm not sure how your machine adjusts, but many of the walking foot types have you cycle the machine until the needle just touches the material you are sewing, then loosen a link on the upper feed bar assembly and let the feet "snap" into the correct position (for the height of your feet) and the material thickness you are sewing. Your mileage may vary, but that is how several of my machines compensate for the pair of presser foot lengths being a tad wrong.

-DC

16 hours ago, Douglas62 said:

Hello, I’m a longtime reader and member and now a first time poster. I’m nervous that I’ll do something wrong. I mean no disrespect, so let me know if I do.

I have tried, but I still can’t figure out how to make adjustments to/raise my Cowboy-335’s lower feed dogs. I bought my Cowboy four years ago at the spot in Toledo and yes, I have recently tried to call them and I know they even have a history of posting here but I haven’t talked to them and it’s a 2 hour drive to go there.

2 weeks ago I had my first problem with my Cowboy. Maybe I was sewing through too much leather. Between then and today I have learned a lot about my machine! Maybe I turned something simple into something complicated.That’s o.k., though, because I need to know how to be my own mechanical engineer if I want a smooth machine or 2. I have googled. I have perused this website. I have printed and read through a lot, including the Navy Airmen chapters, and more. Today I went to YouTube and saved some videos. Before I start looking through them, I decided to reach out here.

If anybody is familiar with my machine and/or if anybody could link me to specifically useful online print or video sources it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Cowboy.jpg

If your still having a problem,give us a call & if we don't answer leave a message & we'll get back to you as soon as we can.