spurdude101

Lined belt size adjustment

When lining a belt, how much length do you add? For example,  If you take an existing 7 oz. belt measurement fold to favorite hole but are building a 12 oz. belt, how much longer does the hole/belt need to be? is there a formula?

1 hour ago, spurdude101 said:

When lining a belt, how much length do you add? For example,  If you take an existing 7 oz. belt measurement fold to favorite hole but are building a 12 oz. belt, how much longer does the hole/belt need to be? is there a formula?

This topic has been posted about a number of times.  Have you tried a search?

Mathematically speaking, the increase in outer circumference would be 2 x added thickness x pi (3.14).  (back to basic math)

Tom

search revealed nothing.

@spurdude101 I think you may be overthinking it a little.  To be safe maybe add an inch or so but the extra thickness doesn't really change much length wise.

@Northmount no offense intended but the search feature on this site is not user friendly at all.  Since I joined I have searched several times for subjects that I know I have seen in the past only to have the search come up empty or literally thousands of results.  Neither is very helpful.

Todd

In my experience it doesn't change too much.  Personally my waist size changes up and down more in a day than the belt length will change from an extra 5 oz of leather.  

10 minutes ago, Hildebrand said:

search feature on this site is not user friendly at all.

Do a google search like this "site:leatherworker.net how much length to add for thicker belt" without the quotes.  site:leatherworker.net restricts the search to this site.  You can change the search string (words) to refine your search.  If a term you don't like keeps popping up in your search, add it to the search string with a dash in front of it (-lazy).

One of the posts the above search string found is

A refinement to the search string could be remove thicker and add lined.  Try different words if necessary to find or narrow the search.

Tom

If you're willing to experiment, I'd just try a half inch longer going from 7 to 12 ounce. I've been making a few lined belts lately experimenting with different weights. Just finished one and its a monster, I think I reached the thickness maximim 15+ ounces. I made it the same length as the other thinner ones and it seems fine for lenght. The one previous is 12-13 oz. and I think it's perfect.

2 hours ago, Outfitr said:

If you're willing to experiment, I'd just try a half inch longer going from 7 to 12 ounce. I've been making a few lined belts lately experimenting with different weights. Just finished one and its a monster, I think I reached the thickness maximim 15+ ounces. I made it the same length as the other thinner ones and it seems fine for lenght. The one previous is 12-13 oz. and I think it's perfect.

The one I'm wearing is 16 oz, . . . had it for over 10 years, . . . but you are right 15 and 16 are pretty much up at the top end unless it is a 3 inch wide police belt or fireman's belt, . . . where you could probably do a bit more, . . . but certainly not much.

And to answer the OP question, . . . it will absolutely add 10 oz to the length, . . . which is in effect 5/32 of an inch.  Yeah, . . . not much.

May God bless,

Dwight

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

The one I'm wearing is 16 oz, . . . had it for over 10 years, . . . but you are right 15 and 16 are pretty much up at the top end unless it is a 3 inch wide police belt or fireman's belt, . . . where you could probably do a bit more, . . . but certainly not much.

And to answer the OP question, . . . it will absolutely add 10 oz to the length, . . . which is in effect 5/32 of an inch.  Yeah, . . . not much.

May God bless,

Dwight

Ya it's just a 1-3/4" floral carved everyday belt. I made it for myself and I love it but I think for most customers it would be a little over the top. 

Thanks everyone. I did do a few searches but frankly either did it wrong or was too frustrating to sift through several hundred post titles looking for the needle in the haystack. In any event I tried Northmount's formula and came up with something like 11/64ths which there again I had to just shake my head and figured roughly 3/8" longer. So like everyone suggested, not that much to worry about unless going really up in thickness. thanks