toxo

Can I change the path of my small laser?

Is it possibe to get my small laser to follow an ouline rather than the backward and forward thing that it does now?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7000mW-Offline-USB-Laser-DIY-Logo-Engraver-155x175mm-Cutter-Mark-Machine-/133260210802?hash=item1f06ed7272

On certain typographic styles it will , when in "outline" mode follow the external contours ( the outlines of the letters ) without the incremental backwards and forwards that happens in normal operation, but I've never seen it follow outlines of a bitmap or a jpeg..As the various file types that one can "add" into the system are limited to only a few..Unlikely that you could get it to do so on anything other than outline type styles.

Can't experiment..we have switched our production to making protection masks for the health workers in our region..There is a chronic shortage of masks for health workers ( my wife is one ) at the moment she and her colleagues have no masks until next week..and then the quantity per person will be restricted..so as we have large amounts of suitable textiles here, and elastics and barrier disinfectant chemicals, until we run out, that is where all our efforts will be directed. the situation has not been helped by the massive influx of Parisians ( who are not respecting any of the preventative measures ) that came here to their second homes as soon as the lock down was announced.

Our local health structures are set up for the usual local population levels.. they will not be able to cope with the population being almost doubled since last Sunday and Monday..Even the internet and phone services are suffering as the egotistical Parisians saturate them downloading movies.

The worst is that they are taking their children ( a major infection vector ) to the shops with them and then allowing them to run free, no barrier distances ( 1 metre between people ) are being maintained that way..anyone says anything to them, it has already resulted in fights..Our local supermarkets do not stock enough of anything ( especially basic foods ) to be able to cope with these numbers of people.The two things that the government should have done was to say that Paris would not be allowed to "evacuate" to the countryside or the seaside..and that people should not take their children into shops or public venues where those at risk from health problems ( like yours truly ) had to be to buy food.

Stay safe.

Thanks Mike. I was toying with the idea of using the laser to cut  deep enough lines to insert the rule steel to make clicker dies but I don't think it's powerful enough and even if it is it would take many passes and be time consuming compared to cutting it out with my electric fretsaw plus there's no size limitation with the fretsaw. 

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

Can't experiment..we have switched our production to making protection masks for the health workers in our region..There is a chronic shortage of masks for health workers ( my wife is one ) at the moment she and her colleagues have no masks until next week..and then the quantity per person will be restricted..so as we have large amounts of suitable textiles here, and elastics and barrier disinfectant chemicals, until we run out, that is where all our efforts will be directed. the situation has not been helped by the massive influx of Parisians ( who are not respecting any of the preventative measures ) that came here to their second homes as soon as the lock down was announced.

Our local health structures are set up for the usual local population levels.. they will not be able to cope with the population being almost doubled since last Sunday and Monday..Even the internet and phone services are suffering as the egotistical Parisians saturate them downloading movies.

The worst is that they are taking their children ( a major infection vector ) to the shops with them and then allowing them to run free, no barrier distances ( 1 metre between people ) are being maintained that way..anyone says anything to them, it has already resulted in fights..Our local supermarkets do not stock enough of anything ( especially basic foods ) to be able to cope with these numbers of people.The two things that the government should have done was to say that Paris would not be allowed to "evacuate" to the countryside or the seaside..and that people should not take their children into shops or public venues where those at risk from health problems ( like yours truly ) had to be to buy food.

Stay safe.

I hate to say it but it's the human model. We, as a race are severely flawed and when the choice is between me and them the choice for most people is me. There are even worse flaws. Why would someone destroy a bus shelter and then stand in the rain waiting for a bus? I went to the chemist the other day and as I approached the pharmacy counter, a young woman with a child in a buggy coughed onto her sleeve from around six inches. She was in a queue of what was potentially a line of vulnerable people. 

The other day I over ordered on dog mince from the butcher and didn't have room in the freezer. They were frozen and had to go in the fridge overnight. Next morning I wrapped up 4 kilos and put it out the front along with 2 kilos of a brand dog food that make my dogs stink with a sign saying what it was and please take me. I advertised it on face book and had people message me to ask where to pick it up. When I looked out it was already gone so I put a sold sign on FB. When I went to the door for the postman about 3 hours later I noticed some arsehole had tucked it out of sight, no doubt to collect later depriving someone else from getting it. People suck mate.

I can't increase the size of the image! Is it because it becomes pixelated or something? I'll try increasing the size before importing to the laser.

Re: Using the laser to make clicker dies, my laser laser doesn't look like cutting anywhere deep enough for the rule steel. I ordered the steel with a view to cutting the groove with my electric fret saw and so ordered the 1.05mm rather than the 0.71mm but it turns out it's a scroll saw and the cut looks to be around 0.5mm :( . It's going to be interesting.

Edited by toxo

Don't use steel rule, cut the leather with the laser! I have a 80 watt laser (overkill) and I cut 10 oz. leather with ease, very sharp cuts and accurate. Burn marks on edges come off easily with light sanding.

Having a frustrating time with the laser at the moment. The max cutting size is too small anyway but it's nowhere near 80 watts, more like 7 watts. I did try three passes at 100% the other day and it still didn't get any deeper that about a sixtenth of an inch. To be fair I only wanted it for engraving which I'm gradually getting to grips with. Even that is driving me up the wall because it keeps changing the size.

Too late anyway Tim, 60metres of rule steel arrived this morning. :).  I'm looking forward to playing with it. I won't be doing any long production runs and my leather shop will allow me to use their clicker press for anything that I can't do with the arbor press.

On 3/19/2020 at 2:27 AM, toxo said:

Is it possibe to get my small laser to follow an ouline rather than the backward and forward thing that it does now?

In order to follow the outline, the laser's software typically has to be set to "cut" mode as opposed to "engrave" mode, and the file must be vector based as opposed to bitmapped, (which is what your files sound like, as vector based files can be enlarged without distortion). Do your machine offer the "cut" option in its user dialogue box? 

6 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

In order to follow the outline, the laser's software typically has to be set to "cut" mode as opposed to "engrave" mode, and the file must be vector based as opposed to bitmapped, (which is what your files sound like, as vector based files can be enlarged without distortion). Do your machine offer the "cut" option in its user dialogue box? 

I thought the image had to be bitmaps. All the sample images are bitmaps. Is that why the image won't resize properly, because they're not vectors? The problem is, the instructions are nowhere near comprehensive. I'm not even sure I've installed it correctly. I got it working and left it at that. The computer interface isn't the same as the instruction leaflet and has less options. I'll post some pics later and hopefully find out what's wrong.

17 minutes ago, toxo said:

I thought the image had to be bitmaps.

In the link you provided, the machine was referred to as a laser engraver, so that might be all you can do with it.

Lightburn software is the best out there for controlling the laser but does not work on ALL lasers. Free 30 day trail. I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COMPANY, I just think it is great software!

T2 laser is a good program easy to use very limited free trial but enough to make sure it is compatible with your machine . Light Burn is also a good program  a little more powerful longer learning cure but more feature 30 day trial then like 40 bucks so very reasonable. I have paid for both and use them both at same time but I also have two lasers that I run. Before the world shut down I was burning Leather all day on Sunday then stitching wallets and money clips riveting key fobs together.every night after work all week. The laser certainly opens up new avenues of leather work.