DirtyDusty

Angled Stirrups

I have used angled stirrups on mass produced saddles to help with knee pain. But I noticed you never see them offered on custom saddles, that have the stirrups set with a Hamley twist. Are angled stirrups just a fix for a poor built saddle?

Angled stirrups can definitely be a valued feature on custom saddles. Twisted stirrup leathers (Hamley Twist) are standard on all saddles I've made and many have angled stirrups as well.  A lot of riders find the angled or "canted" stirrups very beneficial, particularly shorter legged riders and riders of big barrelled horses.  I have clients that insist on angled stirrups.  I've been modifying monel stirrups for many years with leather wedges under the tread.  The stirrup shown has a minimal wedge and shown with an optional leather "heel block."  If more angle is desired, I add additional leather wedge.  I understand that some maker of quality monel stirrups is now offering angled stirrup that don't require the wedge modification.  I have yet to find s source but will be interested to learn.

IMG_1525.thumb.JPG.4801085c23e5908c1704cbf5cbeb7681.JPG

Previously I never understood the need for angled stirrups as I am long legged / very bow legged so my leg has always contoured nicely to the side of a horse... However, I shattered my left knee last year in a bad wreck and since then my left leg has been bolted back together / healed up almost straight...I would strongly consider angled stirrups now to take some of the tension off it as it does not sit nearly as nicely as it did before.  (my saddles all have hamley twist)

I guess it may all depend on the physiology of the individual rider...and as Ed pointed out I can definitely see where a short legged/straight legged/knock kneed rider would find this beneficial.  

Ron

When I first heard of the concept, I scoffed at it.  I just didn't see how it would make that much of a difference.  As I got older, things that used to be a normal daily activity, started to cause pain.  I was getting ready for a horse/camping trip a few years ago, and of course my personal saddles had been robbed of half their parts when customers needed any particular thing that I might be out of stock of at the moment.  So I grabbed a pair of plain, uncovered stirrups out of inventory, and thought I'd just put a tread cover on for the camping trip.  While I was getting ready to do that, I decided to try a wedge, since we would be riding in the mountains for a week, I figured it would be a good test.  It blew my mind what a difference it made.  My feet didn't fall asleep, my ankles didn't hurt.  I twist and wrap the fender leg on all my personal saddles, and it is standard on my custom saddles as well.  If a customer DOESN'T want it, I leave it off.  But even with the twist and wrap, my feet would still go numb after a couple hours of riding.  The stirrups made a huge difference there.  I do offer them as an option on my new saddles, and have modified many existing stirrups as a repair.  Once in awhile I get a customer who doesn't like them, but I'm a believer and put them on most.  I use the wedge under the tread cover.  It takes a little while to fit it up and get it right, but it's no more difficult than any other saddle making task.

I agree, crooked pedals definitely help with ankle, knee, hip, and back alignment. They are especially noticeable if you spend hours in the saddle. I use Don Orell's on my personal saddle, he will make about any kind of stirrup you can imagine from plain oak to exotic wood. They are not cheap but neither is a custom rig...  I recommend them to all my cowboy and team roper friends and haven't had anyone go back to regular pedals. 

Testimonial photos that argue for angled stirrups followed by a pic of a more dramatic buildup in a monel stirrup.  In response to Cattledude's comment, I've seen and like the Orell stirrups but noted that they don't come in wider widths or the very popular monel style.  Do they custom make them wider?

I'd like to add that it's important to make the foot-surface of any stirrup dead flat or the rider will get sore cramped feet.

IMG_1528.jpg

P7290134.jpg

On 3/19/2020 at 11:16 AM, EdOdgers said:

Angled stirrups can definitely be a valued feature on custom saddles. Twisted stirrup leathers (Hamley Twist) are standard on all saddles I've made and many have angled stirrups as well.  A lot of riders find the angled or "canted" stirrups very beneficial, particularly shorter legged riders and riders of big barrelled horses.  I have clients that insist on angled stirrups.  I've been modifying monel stirrups for many years with leather wedges under the tread.  The stirrup shown has a minimal wedge and shown with an optional leather "heel block."  If more angle is desired, I add additional leather wedge.  I understand that some maker of quality monel stirrups is now offering angled stirrup that don't require the wedge modification.  I have yet to find s source but will be interested to learn.

IMG_1525.thumb.JPG.4801085c23e5908c1704cbf5cbeb7681.JPG

How do I order