So I.forged this little guy  out of an old hay rake tine.   Sheath is wicket and Craig skirting in brown with green deer skin liner. Back has some small basket weave . Front some swivel knife cuts and simple stamping.  Double loop lacing around the outside I used imperial lace from tandy.  What is this stuff I'm assuming it's a plastic?  

The lanyard is suede lace 3 strand braid.  

Critique as.always welcomed. 

Stay safe all, wash those hands and make lots of leather things if you are stuck at home in your shop.

Ross

20200319_202142.jpg

20200319_210658.jpg

20200319_212238.jpg

20200319_212324.jpg

20200319_202233.jpg

20200319_212511.jpg

20200319_212655.jpg

rossr, nice job as always. where u getting the colored deer skin? i should have some around here for liners.

5 minutes ago, cardinal leather said:

rossr, nice job as always. where u getting the colored deer skin? i should have some around here for liners.

Thanks!   The last ones I got.from Maverick leather. Just depends on what they have in stock though I'm about due for more myself.

Ross

That whole project turned out great! 

22 minutes ago, Rossr said:

So I.forged this little guy  out of an old hay rake tine

That little cast-off comment probably covers up a lot of time and skill. :P  I'd like to hear some details about that part of the projective you don't mind. I might have some spare time in the next month to get my feet wet in something like that.

22 hours ago, maxdaddy said:

That whole project turned out great! 

That little cast-off comment probably covers up a lot of time and skill. :P  I'd like to hear some details about that part of the projective you don't mind. I might have some spare time in the next month to get my feet wet in something like that.

So if you ever saw the old dump rakes  that were horse drawn that is what I used.  It's the big round tines.  On the back .  You usually see them rusting away in a farm field or as decorations.  Anyway they are normally.some kind of high carbon steel.  You can heat them up and anneal part of one in a forge then heat and beat into knife shape.   Then once you have the shape you can use a 2x72 belt.grinder for the bevels to.finish or.use a file.or lots of.ways.  then heat treat.  I do it by heating till nonmagnetic in the forge and then dunk in oil.  Once cooled.  Temper in a toaster oven(no not the good one In the kitchen).   At 395 degree for an hour . Take out cool and then another hour at 395.  Then clean it up and done.  Lot.of info on the net about how to.do them and fun too.    Hope that helps

All looks great @Rossr! I have a few old files I've broken the temper on but have yet to do anything with. It's on the list..

30 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

All looks great @Rossr! I have a few old files I've broken the temper on but have yet to do anything with. It's on the list..

Files are fun too!  Get making !