Sign in to follow this  
wang369

my alligator watch straps

hi guys, these are my projects and currently selling in two stores in locally. please subscribe if you like it.

IMG_2616-min.JPG

IMG_2618-min.JPG

Beautiful! What weight did you use for the leather?

On 3/20/2020 at 5:28 AM, NomadChris said:

Beautiful! What weight did you use for the leather?

Thank you! I don't get what you mean by weight?

15 hours ago, wang369 said:

How thick is the leather? (eg. 2oz weight = 0.8mm thick)

15 hours ago, wang369 said:

It sounds weird, but leather thickness is traditionally measured in ounces, and still is in the US and many other places.   1 ounce is 1/64 inch, so an 8oz leather is 1/8 inches thick.   In other areas of the world thickness is measured in mm - (and square feet in area still - go figure).  Even when using metric, one still asks about the thickness by asking what weight.   Weird, right?  Thankfully most of the other measuring systems are no longer used (Irons, anybody)?

- Bill

Very Nice!

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

Even when using metric, one still asks about the thickness by asking what weight.   Weird, right?  Thankfully most of the other measuring systems are no longer used (Irons, anybody)?- Bill

Hello there. From my point of view as a newcomer to this hobby, the way I look at it is when checking out leather I always think of thickness in preferably metric or inches, it's about thickness after all, just because a certain weight has some sort of equivalency to thickness it is not absolute nor easy to visualize it. I think that we still need to visualize the thicknesses in our brains and convert them into mm or fraction of inches, so why not just say and mark them in mm or inches. Gold and Silver and everything else we measure in wights and carats and not by its atomic weight even though each material can be measured by a different scale and way of measuring...

17 hours ago, billybopp said:

It sounds weird, but leather thickness is traditionally measured in ounces, and still is in the US and many other places.   1 ounce is 1/64 inch, so an 8oz leather is 1/8 inches thick.   In other areas of the world thickness is measured in mm - (and square feet in area still - go figure).  Even when using metric, one still asks about the thickness by asking what weight.   Weird, right?  Thankfully most of the other measuring systems are no longer used (Irons, anybody)?

- Bill

haha, I understand your feeling. thats is 0.8mm thickness leather

16 hours ago, PJ1 said:

Very Nice!

Thank you !

Nice looking bands.

These are really nice!  Are you dyeing your alligator skin, or do you buy it pre-dyed?

20 hours ago, AwlShucks said:

Nice looking bands.

Thank you sir! do you know if I can post my Instagram on there to getting followers? I'm new there.

8 hours ago, McMadCow said:

These are really nice!  Are you dyeing your alligator skin, or do you buy it pre-dyed?

Thanks ! these are pre-dyed American alligator leathers 

On 3/23/2020 at 8:59 PM, wang369 said:

Thanks ! these are pre-dyed American alligator leathers 

Where did you source them from, if you don't mind my asking?  I've made my own alligator watch straps and I'd love it if I had a place to get different colors.  Right now I dye them myself and I'm not very good at it...

12 hours ago, McMadCow said:

Where did you source them from, if you don't mind my asking?  I've made my own alligator watch straps and I'd love it if I had a place to get different colors.  Right now I dye them myself and I'm not very good at it...

follow my Instagram jones leather bespoke. I will tell you right there. and we can share some info i believe