caroo10000

Handbag pattern

hello, I would like to deepen my knowledge on the sponsorship of handbag. Currently, I am creating my own patterns, but I find it difficult to predict adjustments, number of pieces, etc. Can someone help me?

All I can say is to watch YouTube like it isn't going to be there tomorrow. Dieselpunk.ro is a great resource for bags and his patterns are pretty cheap. You will likely need to make a few off of some patterns before you start making your own so you can see where the "gotchas" are and such. He isn't the only resource but he is great for bags and patterns.

Also, if you pick apart all the different threads here on LW you will see a lot about lining and stuff as well, which Tony doesn't have a lot of info on.

Another also, keep asking questions on here too. 

2 hours ago, caroo10000 said:

deepen my knowledge on the sponsorship of handbag... I find it difficult to predict adjustments, number of pieces, etc.

You might do some research in handbags. There are many books available that you might take a look at. Amazon has books on making handbags as do many fabric stores. Your local library or community college could also be good resources.

The best advice I might offer is to make a prototype out of something in cardboard or fabric before you sacrifice some leather for the project.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

Hahahaha!

You remind me of me a few years back.  It's possible but you will need to really dig in and apply everything you know, can learn, can figure out on your own etc...you get my point hopefully.  It's so challenging and rewarding.  Every journey is unique because we all have different dreams and goals.  

Suggest lots of design consideration. sketching, prototyping and practice on the front end of every new bag you create before making #1.  By #3 you will be in charge of your destiny. 

Good luck!  

Silverd

IG. Pacific.customleatherworks 

This is not about design per se but it might help with any project that you take on.

It's about your starting point and logic.

I've got more fasteners and hardware etc than you can shake a stick at but you can bet your arse if I design for a 1 inch strap, when I get there I won't have any 1inch strap ends or buckles and if I do they won't be the same colour as the rest of the hardware.

So work backwards and collate everything you need beforehand even down to the dye colour and the matching or contrasting thread.

Hand sew or machine sew will be a massive difference. Hole punching on a curve will gradually bring those two pieces together around the curve. Try doing that on a machine. Not saying it's not possible but a whole nother ball game when designing for it. Good luck.

Is this in the correct section of the forum?

38 minutes ago, fredk said:

Is this in the correct section of the forum?

Seems like it should be in fabrication, patterns and templates, so I have moved it.