TCL

Suggestions for sewing/stitching for hands with issues

Hello everyone, I've been cruising through on occasion for about a year now and have picked up some great information.  I'm hoping to get some more. 

I mostly do small stuff like trays, fobs, bookmarks, bowls and some carving. I would love to get into some stitched items, wallets,  small bags & stuff, but I have severe eczema on my hands and trying to hand stitch can be very painful. 

I can't afford a sewing machine, but have my mother in law's old regular Kenmore sewing machine. I have read that sewing leather requires special needles and a walking foot, so I don't know if that sewing machine is useable even if I can learn how to use it. 

Are there any suggestions for inexpensive leather sewing machines or other tricks for hand sewing anyone can offer. 

Thank you all

13 minutes ago, TCL said:

Hello everyone, I've been cruising through on occasion for about a year now and have picked up some great information.  I'm hoping to get some more. 

I mostly do small stuff like trays, fobs, bookmarks, bowls and some carving. I would love to get into some stitched items, wallets,  small bags & stuff, but I have severe eczema on my hands and trying to hand stitch can be very painful. 

I can't afford a sewing machine, but have my mother in law's old regular Kenmore sewing machine. I have read that sewing leather requires special needles and a walking foot, so I don't know if that sewing machine is useable even if I can learn how to use it. 

Are there any suggestions for inexpensive leather sewing machines or other tricks for hand sewing anyone can offer. 

Thank you all

Gosh I had forgotten about the old Kenmore sewing machines. They were good machines but never intended to sew leather.

First problem is the industrial thread we use for leather, second is yes you would need to use a leather needle. If I remember correctly Singer needles fit the Kenmore.

JoAnn Fabrics among others have the needles as does Amazon. 

Make something from fabric with the Kenmore. See if your hands will take the abuse from some Quilt Cotton. Sew with a spool of Guietterman thread or Coats and Clark.

Even if you don't make anything, just sewing will let you find out if you really wish to sew with a machine. That little Speedy Stitcher has been used by thousands and thousands of craft folks

and it will sew leather but not very thick.

I don't try much hand sewing anymore. Arthritis and Carpel Tunnel has seen to that.

Ferg

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I might try to get that speedy stitcher and see what I can get for the kenmore.

39 minutes ago, TCL said:

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I might try to get that speedy stitcher and see what I can get for the kenmore.

There are other types. Here's another.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Hand-Single-Stitch-Sew-Sewing-Awl-Tool-Needle-Stitching-With-Thread-LD/184122417342?hash=item2ade8d20be:g:HmIAAOSwyupa3sNz

If you stay with chrome leather under about 2mm thick your domestic machine may well work ok enabling you to make many items like bags etc, Veg tan unfortunately does need a industrial machine to power through and a walking foot is nice but some use industrial ones without the walking foot for thinner veg tan, Wiz has a good description on the machines to look for on the forum

A member of this forum tells of sewing through plywood with a singer 201 so anything is possible I guess, but may not be the best solution

On 3/22/2020 at 8:17 AM, toxo said:

Thank you

On 3/22/2020 at 11:00 AM, chrisash said:

If you stay with chrome leather under about 2mm thick your domestic machine may well work ok enabling you to make many items like bags etc, Veg tan unfortunately does need a industrial machine to power through and a walking foot is nice but some use industrial ones without the walking foot for thinner veg tan, Wiz has a good description on the machines to look for on the forum

A member of this forum tells of sewing through plywood with a singer 201 so anything is possible I guess, but may not be the best solution

I'll check that out (the one on sewing machines, I have tools for the plywood  :) Thank you

On 3/20/2020 at 9:10 PM, TCL said:

Thank you all

You can make some good stuff using thin leather that you can maybe use on your domestic. Here's a very large shopping tote that I made from garment/upholstery weight leather (around 1mm) that I backed with a pigskin lining (less than 1mm). It's extremely soft and I love it. The next one will be darker colours so I can use it :)

finished tote 002.JPG

finished tote 004.JPG

finished tote 006.JPG

On 3/27/2020 at 3:08 AM, toxo said:

You can make some good stuff using thin leather that you can maybe use on your domestic. Here's a very large shopping tote that I made from garment/upholstery weight leather (around 1mm) that I backed with a pigskin lining (less than 1mm). It's extremely soft and I love it. The next one will be darker colours so I can use it :)

finished tote 002.JPG

finished tote 004.JPG

finished tote 006.JPG

I love that! That's the kind d of things I'd like to be able to do. Thanks for sharing.