Gulrok

135x17 vs 135x16

Hi folks.

I wanted to improve my sewing machine skills. Well, I have been I believe except for the fact that I still run into issues occasionally with the backside of the stitch looking poorly.

I see that many needles listed as 135x17 (which is what I've purchased) say 'for leather' in the listing. However, I'm reading that 135x16 needles are really the leather needles and x17 needles are for fabrics.

How much of a deal does it really make?

135x16 are leatherpoint, look at the shape of the tip and it will be diamond or wedge shaped, designed to cut through leather, 135x17 are pointed (for material and webbing). You can use x17 in leather but the stitches may look a bit different and you may need a larger size needle than you would think. Also, you may have problems with thick/hard leather.

13 hours ago, dikman said:

135x16 are leatherpoint, look at the shape of the tip and it will be diamond or wedge shaped, designed to cut through leather, 135x17 are pointed (for material and webbing). You can use x17 in leather but the stitches may look a bit different and you may need a larger size needle than you would think. Also, you may have problems with thick/hard leather.

I ordered some leather 135x16 needles. We'll see how they are. I hope they're much nicer stitches than the 135x17.. they havent been great by any means.

Remember this: Bad news on the back of your item doesn't necessarily mean your needle is at fault although you were using the wrong needles.

Improper Tension on your thread causes at least ninety percent of bad stitches on the back.

Ferg

Or wrong size.

Bert.

and keep in mind - there is not only the classic LR tip needle for leather there are a lot more.

I prefer S-Tip needles

To give you some ideas check the below  links. 2nd link is a download link from GROZ BECKERT

https://www.schmetz.com/en/industrial-needles/needle-compass/cutting-points

https://www.groz-beckert.com/mm/media/en/web/pdf/Point_styles_for_leather_processing.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

and keep in mind - there is not only the classic LR tip needle for leather there are a lot more.

I prefer S-Tip needles

To give you some ideas check the below  links. 2nd link is a download link from GROZ BECKERT

https://www.schmetz.com/en/industrial-needles/needle-compass/cutting-points

https://www.groz-beckert.com/mm/media/en/web/pdf/Point_styles_for_leather_processing.pdf

Just when I think I'm beginning to get a handle on this stuff!!! Another curve ball. You just like to fry my brain don'tcha Folker!

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Just when I think I'm beginning to get a handle on this stuff!!! Another curve ball. You just like to fry my brain don'tcha Folker!

we all learn something new everyday :lol:

I'm getting a used Juki LU-563 delivered next week and I want to order needles in advance for use with leather.

Just want to be sure I understand:   The main difference between 135x17 needles (which is what the Juki LU-563 manual says to use) and 135x16 is simply the point? So I should actually be ordering 135x16 needles for leather? I'm trying to avoid ordering the wrong kind of needle and having to return it. I have downloaded the leather needle point reference guides linked above; very helpful!

Edited by SewMuchToLearn

16 hours ago, SewMuchToLearn said:

I'm getting a used Juki LU-563 delivered next week and I want to order needles in advance for use with leather.

Just want to be sure I understand:   The main difference between 135x17 needles (which is what the Juki LU-563 manual says to use) and 135x16 is simply the point? So I should actually be ordering 135x16 needles for leather? I'm trying to avoid ordering the wrong kind of needle and having to return it. I have downloaded the leather needle point reference guides linked above; very helpful!

Yes,the 135x16 is the leather point which comes in many different syles of points like Diamond,S,Tri,LR to name a few common ones ,many people like the look of an S point on leather if you want straight-line looking stitches,if you want a zig-zag look get the LR's.