Tuachan

Securing loops braided romel reins

How do I secure the loop ends of the braided romel reins under the large cowboy knot? Im using a leather core. These reins will be used so I need them to hold up to a horses resistance if needed. Thanks in advance.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:18 PM, Tuachan said:

How do I secure the loop ends of the braided romel reins under the large cowboy knot? Im using a leather core. These reins will be used so I need them to hold up to a horses resistance if needed. Thanks in advance.

Moved your post to braiding.  Hopefully you'll get the answer you want here.

Tom

You braid (weave) them into the spot where they come together. I usually braid back about three or four inches. It depends upon the number of laces being used. 

Then put the cover knot on top. The cover not is just that. A cover knot. 

Depending upon what knot you use, and how you attach the cover knot it may or may not  add strength.

I'm assuming you are referring to the turn backs like in my picture below

I hope this helps.

IMG_0006.JPG.16988b01723c71423abb33d44fadcadb.JPG

Edited by GrampaJoel

Yay yes. Thank you so much. Is there a pattern to turn back an 8 plait somewhere?

Also where did you learn to braid romel reins and what would you suggest for a newcomer? Thanks again for taking the time to reply. :)

Edited by Tuachan

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply.  

I forgot about this post. I don't come to this site very much any more now that I am retired.

Here's a book with everything you will need to learn.  That will help with turn backs and all kinds of  cover knots and sliders and such. There are several books by Hought that are worth investing in.

http://www.hought.com/brbooks-romal1.html

Just a tip from me. I make my loop and sew the core together about an inch with a small needle and thread. Then  I  braid into the area that becomes the back braid, and then wrap it with tape to get the shape I want, and then braid the cover knot. Making the shape with the tape shapes the cover knot.

It's over kill to some, but I like my turnarounds to hold.

Joel

Here' an example of how I interlace the turn back laces at the join. The loop below has masking tape used to creat a  even design to put the cover knot on.

IMG_0418.JPG