NEILEWINGTON

Wallet Leathers and Thickness

Hi All,

I'm a new user and first time poster. I'm based in London and have recently taken up leather working as a hobby. 

I'm struggling to work out the sort of leather I need for a wallet. The type and thickness. I've seen conflicting views across the internet. 

Could you give me some guidance please, and also recommend any online stores where I can purchase the leather required. 

Thanks

Neil

Hei Neil I’m in north west my email is info@customracetack email me on there iv got loads of scrap leather I’ll send you some peices the right substance to make a wallet 

regards 

Tony 

I use 3/4 oz leather and it works fine. I think that is ~1.2 mm. They do tend to get a bit bulky if doing a bigger wallet but with some efficient construction and skiving it doesn't seem too big a deal. I guess optimally 3/4 oz for the outer shell and 2/3 for inner. I wouldn't go too much thinner than that or you'll run into the lack of resiliency that cheaper/mass produced wallets have in spades.

1 hour ago, jockey said:

Hei Neil I’m in north west my email is info@customracetack email me on there iv got loads of scrap leather I’ll send you some peices the right substance to make a wallet 

regards 

Tony 

What a nice offer!  Very generous of you.  

I also recommend, if you haven't yet, to go to youtube and look at videos by Nigel Armitage.  Nigel has some on wallet making that address your question.  He also sells a great download with all sorts of wallet templates, for little money.

4 hours ago, jockey said:

regards 

Tony 

Hey Tony!

That's so kind, thank you so much. I'll send an email through shortly :)

Best

Neil

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

This great thank you!

3 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I use 3/4 oz leather and it works fine. I think that is ~1.2 mm. They do tend to get a bit bulky if doing a bigger wallet but with some efficient construction and skiving it doesn't seem too big a deal. I guess optimally 3/4 oz for the outer shell and 2/3 for inner. I wouldn't go too much thinner than that or you'll run into the lack of resiliency that cheaper/mass produced wallets have in spades.

Awesome this really helpful thank you!

3 hours ago, Tugadude said:

What a nice offer!  Very generous of you.  

I also recommend, if you haven't yet, to go to youtube and look at videos by Nigel Armitage.  Nigel has some on wallet making that address your question.  He also sells a great download with all sorts of wallet templates, for little money.

I will check him out now. Thanks for the advice!

Firstly, I'd say take up JOCKEY'S generous offer. Next, here are some general comments -

The usual thickness of leather for wallets is about 0,8 to 1,8mm. Typical of an old traditional craft it has its own jargon, and thickness is sometimes referred to as the substance. You can also measure the thickness by the weight in ounces of one square foot; in this case about 3 or 4oz

Leather is the skin or hide of a cow, unless described otherwise. For wallets you would usually use already dyed vegetable tanned cow or calf leather. A shoulder would be enough to start with, or you usually buy the whole calf skin

CHRISASH'S  list is good, but here are a couple more -

https://www.metropolitanleather.com     They sell good quality leather, and Osborne tools at reduced prices At the moment they are selling veg tan shoulder splits for £15, which is good value and quite good enough for wallets and/or practising on

https://leather4craft.co.uk    Besides whole hides they sell smaller cut pieces

Nigel Armitage has a video entitled How to make a simple wallet, or some similar title. It's worth watching; also the instruction pack is good. Besides plans there is lots of advice. Two other useful video channels are Ian Atkinson and JH Leather

I have bought wallet leather from buyleatheronline; they're a reliable company, but check with them that their business has not been affected by the Corona Virus Restrictions. Even if you don't buy from them, they have many different types of leather, with prices, and you can see the sort of things that are available

Don't be afraid of the suppliers. I have found them to be pleasant enough if you phone them up; after all, they know their business, and it's in their interests to help you

Edited by zuludog

On 3/22/2020 at 6:46 PM, zuludog said:

Firstly, I'd say take up JOCKEY'S generous offer. Next, here are some general comments -

The usual thickness of leather for wallets is about 0,8 to 1,8mm. Typical of an old traditional craft it has its own jargon, and thickness is sometimes referred to as the substance. You can also measure the thickness by the weight in ounces of one square foot; in this case about 3 or 4oz

Leather is the skin or hide of a cow, unless described otherwise. For wallets you would usually use already dyed vegetable tanned cow or calf leather. A shoulder would be enough to start with, or you usually buy the whole calf skin

CHRISASH'S  list is good, but here are a couple more -

https://www.metropolitanleather.com     They sell good quality leather, and Osborne tools at reduced prices At the moment they are selling veg tan shoulder splits for £15, which is good value and quite good enough for wallets and/or practising on

https://leather4craft.co.uk    Besides whole hides they sell smaller cut pieces

Nigel Armitage has a video entitled How to make a simple wallet, or some similar title. It's worth watching; also the instruction pack is good. Besides plans there is lots of advice. Two other useful video channels are Ian Atkinson and JH Leather

I have bought wallet leather from buyleatheronline; they're a reliable company, but check with them that their business has not been affected by the Corona Virus Restrictions. Even if you don't buy from them, they have many different types of leather, with prices, and you can see the sort of things that are available

Don't be afraid of the suppliers. I have found them to be pleasant enough if you phone them up; after all, they know their business, and it's in their interests to help you

This is all great info thank you. You've all been incredibly helpful :)

39 minutes ago, Grumpymann said:

Thankyou, Grumpyman